The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Assange

j_jza80

Interesting one this.

For him to get to get out of the UK he will have to evade the police. So I'm guessing some big 007 bond style effort will take place for him to escape.

Unless its all sorted out in a boring legal fashion whereby a 'deal' between Sweden and Ecuador is made.

What would happen if Ecuador actually made him a diplomat?

At the moment he is hiding as a civi inside the embassy where we have no authority, therefore if he leaves we can nab him, but if he is officially made a diplomat then i am not so sure we can touch him, he could therefore be taken from the embassy and flown out of the country to Ecuador.

Am I the only one thinking that the real reason he's so determined not to get deported is because he knows he's guilty of the Rape claim and he's just using wikileaks as an excuse to get support?

I think most people can see the time line of events that followed Assange and Wikileaks it should be clear that he has upset a lot of people who have a lot of money/power.

It was only a matter of time before somebody who was afraid of losing their money tried to get him out of the picture.

http://www.euronews.com/2012/08/16/julian-assange-and-wikileaks-timeline-of-events/

Its fair to say that the americans have been 'hit' hard by the wikileaks website, because the americans preach to the world how things should be done, especially in human rights, free speach, democracy etc. etc. .... and when such profound evidence is shown to the world that the american government regularly ignores its own preachings then it obviously annoys the people with the power.

A study of american history should be enough for most to see that they want this man and they want him 'harmed', 'killled' , taken out of the picture altogether? (maybe)? (insert other means of 'pay-back' here).

I know the americans to date have not formally charged Assange with anything, but they surely will once he is in their umbrella of control. (ie. sweden).

Sweden have said they will not extradite to the USA under the EU law, but its many people's belief that the americans will only ask for him to be handed over for questioning first (in order that sweden will have no worries about death penelty) and then on the development of 'new evidence' they may raise the charge to something that would involve a life-time prison sentence or death penelty.

This is just what I've read on the internet, so may hold some truth, may not. ;)

I think most people can see the time line of events that followed Assange and Wikileaks it should be clear that he has upset a lot of people who have a lot of money/power.

It was only a matter of time before somebody who was afraid of losing their money tried to get him out of the picture.

http://www.euronews.com/2012/08/16/julian-assange-and-wikileaks-timeline-of-events/

Its fair to say that the americans have been 'hit' hard by the wikileaks website, because the americans preach to the world how things should be done, especially in human rights, free speach, democracy etc. etc. .... and when such profound evidence is shown to the world that the american government regularly ignores its own preachings then it obviously annoys the people with the power.

A study of american history should be enough for most to see that they want this man and they want him 'harmed', 'killled' , taken out of the picture altogether? (maybe)? (insert other means of 'pay-back' here).

I know the americans to date have not formally charged Assange with anything, but they surely will once he is in their umbrella of control. (ie. sweden).

Sweden have said they will not extradite to the USA under the EU law, but its many people's belief that the americans will only ask for him to be handed over for questioning first (in order that sweden will have no worries about death penelty) and then on the development of 'new evidence' they may raise the charge to something that would involve a life-time prison sentence or death penelty.

This is just what I've read on the internet, so may hold some truth, may not. ;)

:yeahthat:

To be honest, I don't particularly like the man, he's an anarchist rather than a revolutionary.

I couldnt really care less about the US interest in him. We have an obligation to hand him to Sweden, which we should honour (regardless of US interests.

My problem with this man is that he has been treated exceptionally well while here, he has benefited by our fair (though probably too lenient) justice system, and he has repaid us by breaking OUR laws. This man is taking advantage of the legal system, what's to stop him from doing the same to Ecuador if he commits crimes there?

He should be jailed in this country for breaching his bail conditions, and then swiftly passed on to Sweden. (A long time ally of ours, we're certainly not going to let this coward taint our friendship with them!)

NO ONE is above the law!

To be honest, I don't particularly like the man, he's an anarchist rather than a revolutionary.

I couldnt really care less about the US interest in him. We have an obligation to hand him to Sweden, which we should honour (regardless of US interests.

My problem with this man is that he has been treated exceptionally well while here, he has benefited by our fair (though probably too lenient) justice system, and he has repaid us by breaking OUR laws. This man is taking advantage of the legal system, what's to stop him from doing the same to Ecuador if he commits crimes there?

He should be jailed in this country for breaching his bail conditions, and then swiftly passed on to Sweden. (A long time ally of ours, we're certainly not going to let this coward taint our friendship with them!)

NO ONE is above the law!

While I agree in part to some of your sentiments (I think he will be found guilty of sexual misconduct in Sweden, but I suspect he behaved in a way that many men do in countries without strong anti-rape laws), I absolutely disagree with your assertion that the UK government has any obligation to "hand him over" to anyone.

Irrespective of peoples' views of Assange and/or his actions, none of the players (Sweden, US, UK, Australia) has acted in a way conducive to believing they have transparently honourable intentions. In fact, Sweden has refused to deny they will hand him over to the US; the UK has threatened to remove the Ecuadoran embassy's status in order to remove Assange forcibly; the US has refused to deny they will charge him; Australia has essentially washed their hands of him, irrespective of his fate (we have had an Australian citizen, David Hicks, who was detained for 3 years at Guantanamo Bay *without charges*, in conditions the International Red Cross defines as "torture").

I don't care what people are accused of doing, we need to formally charge them and care for them in a humane way until their guilt or innocence is determined in an unbiased judicial procedure.

NO ONE is above the law!

Really? For telling the truth? Or is it better we continue to be fed lies?

An I am sure Jason you are well aware some people are well above the law, history shows this.

While I agree in part to some of your sentiments (I think he will be found guilty of sexual misconduct in Sweden, but I suspect he behaved in a way that many men do in countries without strong anti-rape laws), I absolutely disagree with your assertion that the UK government has any obligation to "hand him over" to anyone.

Irrespective of peoples' views of Assange and/or his actions, none of the players (Sweden, US, UK, Australia) has acted in a way conducive to believing they have transparently honourable intentions. In fact, Sweden has refused to deny they will hand him over to the US; the UK has threatened to remove the Ecuadoran embassy's status in order to remove Assange forcibly; the US has refused to deny they will charge him; Australia has essentially washed their hands of him, irrespective of his fate (we have had an Australian citizen, David Hicks, who was detained for 3 years at Guantanamo Bay *without charges*, in conditions the International Red Cross defines as "torture").

I don't care what people are accused of doing, we need to formally charge them and care for them in a humane way until their guilt or innocence is determined in an unbiased judicial procedure.

This.

An further more, if this has nothing to do with American then why this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19303937

There is a European arrest warrant out for him, which means we're obliged by contract;

"The EAW Framework Decision came into force on 1 January 2004 in eight member states, namely Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. By 1 November 2004 all member states had implemented the legislation except Italy, which did so on 22 April 2005.[6] Bulgaria and Romania implemented the Decision on their accession in 2007"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Arrest_Warrant

Really? For telling the truth? Or is it better we continue to be fed lies?

An I am sure Jason you are well aware some people are well above the law, history shows this.

The message that Assange supposedly spreads is that everyone is accountable to 'the people', yet he isn't?

History is not kind to hypocrites.

And I wold have more time for the man if he were more selective with the information he releases. The majority of documents he has released have not been vetted, and for all he knows he could be putting innocent peoples lives at risk.

Government have to keep some secrets, I would like fewer secrets but the way he does this is reckless.

There is a European arrest warrant out for him, which means we're obliged by contract;

"The EAW Framework Decision came into force on 1 January 2004 in eight member states, namely Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. By 1 November 2004 all member states had implemented the legislation except Italy, which did so on 22 April 2005.[6] Bulgaria and Romania implemented the Decision on their accession in 2007"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Arrest_Warrant

Clearly the UK is part of a larger co-operative law enforcement neighbourhood, but no-one is suggesting he isn't subject to a warrant (or, indeed, that he is even innocent of charges in Sweden). The bigger question is whether extraditing him will lead to his torture and possible death, and I think the evidence so far has given him good cause to be very very afraid.

Simply handing him over without ethical or moral consideration is the same weak excuse given by war criminals - "just following orders".

Clearly the UK is part of a larger co-operative law enforcement neighbourhood, but no-one is suggesting he isn't subject to a warrant (or, indeed, that he is even innocent of charges in Sweden). The bigger question is whether extraditing him will lead to his torture and possible death, and I think the evidence so far has given him good cause to be very very afraid.

Simply handing him over without ethical or moral consideration is the same weak excuse given by war criminals - "just following orders".

He's in no danger of being tortured or killed in Sweden. If they want to give him to the US, that's their business, not ours.

For now though, the Ecuadorian embassy should hand him to us so that he can be punished for breaking bail.

He leaks information about our allies and then hides. In the 1940's he would have been hung as a spy. I see no reason to treat him differently now.

He is a huge hypocrite and a waste of oxygen.

Think my thoughts are clear.

No surprise the usual conspiracy theorists are getting excited.

It would give me great satisfaction to see him tried for treason in the US and given the death penalty. An attention seeker and costly coward of the worst order. I wish the Russians or Chinese had something on him, we might see some action instead of Cameron's usual blather that frankly makes the UK look like a pathetic, indecisive laughing stock. The Russians would have given him a poke in the arse with a "special" umbrella long ago.

God, we send millions in aid to Ecuador, we should chop that straight away, quite why some llama state gets aid for gender awareness projects, I don't know. It could only be us sending it.... And never forget, it *is* OUR money being squandered while many of our old folk cringe at every fuel bill arriving on their doormat. Quite what the bill will be for policing this latest fiasco I don't know. Probably like the money and lives spent on pointless interferences in foreign parts, we will never know, and the bankruptcy we currently face will be lain at any other door save the government's.

• 3 years later...

So here we are 3 years on and he still there. Interesting set of events now with the UN panel agreeing with him that he is being unlawfully detained.

Not quite sure how the Foreign office are going to get out of this one now, looks like he has been very cunning used the legal system to his advantage in this way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35504237

He should have had a quiet poke from a sharp umbrella at a bus stop or been given a nice Russian Coffee. Why our feckless lot can't buy a month's training under Mossad and just get on with things the quick way I don't know. No wonder IS grows stronger, they must look at this Western *rap and wet themselves laughing.