The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trying to figure out what to do with my supra.

gavin.starr

Around 8 months ago my engine developed a rattle which turs out is the death rattle with the big end bearings, I have recently got a complete low millage block to exchange mine with.

I have allways wanted to go and uprate it to a single turbo so this is my ideal opertunity to do so. The thing is im not 100% clued up on what im doing. I would be able to do all the bolt on stuff but after that im gonna be flying blind.

My thought is sacking it off and buying a supra ready built as this will no doubt end up being the cheaper option in the end.

The only thing is I wouldnt be able to purchase a new one without selling mine first, but whats the going rate on a J spec 6 speed manual tt with engine trouble, even if supplied with a replacement block?

Is it going to be worth me doing all the work on mine first and then selling it or selling it as it is?

Around 8 months ago my engine developed a rattle which turs out is the death rattle with the big end bearings, I have recently got a complete low millage block to exchange mine with.

I have allways wanted to go and uprate it to a single turbo so this is my ideal opertunity to do so. The thing is im not 100% clued up on what im doing. I would be able to do all the bolt on stuff but after that im gonna be flying blind.

My thought is sacking it off and buying a supra ready built as this will no doubt end up being the cheaper option in the end.

The only thing is I wouldnt be able to purchase a new one without selling mine first, but whats the going rate on a J spec 6 speed manual tt with engine trouble, even if supplied with a replacement block?

Is it going to be worth me doing all the work on mine first and then selling it or selling it as it is?

Yep - definitely cheaper!

As for yours - I think you'd make more breaking it. £3k for the gearbox first off. You'd get money for your head, and a little for the block. The rest of the car will net you a bit too.

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Yea after selling up my max budget would be around the 12K mark. Ive seen a few recently in the classified section that i like but are way out of my budget but by the time i'm ready they will probs be sold.

Breaking it like you said would be the most cost effective way of doing it but, I just dont think i could see her going in bits. Im currently stripping my G40 Powered polo breadvan which im a bit gutted about.

Not having much luck with cars recently:(

Yea after selling up my max budget would be around the 12K mark. Ive seen a few recently in the classified section that i like but are way out of my budget but by the time i'm ready they will probs be sold.

Breaking it like you said would be the most cost effective way of doing it but, I just dont think i could see her going in bits. Im currently stripping my G40 Powered polo breadvan which im a bit gutted about.

Not having much luck with cars recently:(

That's just how I feel on mine mate.

It's a car, no need for sentiment, just go for the way that makes the most money. Bear in mind you'll be driven crazy by people wanting a MK 16 screen wiper arm clip, in perfect condition, with history, for 10 pence, *NOW* and a lot of messers who say they want X and then fall off the face of the world when it's time to cough up. The place will look like Steptoe's yard for months whilst the thing is stripped, unless ou have big storage facilities. Plus, strictly speaking, breaking a car without a licence is illegal, so if you have uppitty neighbours they might give you grief. Why not get the existing engine rebuilt properly and be happy as it is? 90% + ready done single cars, bought complete will still need plenty of work to make them RIGHT, and potentially hassle free. These single turbo cars are an expensive habit, how much use would you actually get from one anyway?

It's a car, no need for sentiment, just go for the way that makes the most money. Bear in mind you'll be driven crazy by people wanting a MK 16 screen wiper arm clip, in perfect condition, with history, for 10 pence, *NOW* and a lot of messers who say they want X and then fall off the face of the world when it's time to cough up. The place will look like Steptoe's yard for months whilst the thing is stripped, unless ou have big storage facilities. Plus, strictly speaking, breaking a car without a licence is illegal, so if you have uppitty neighbours they might give you grief. Why not get the existing engine rebuilt properly and be happy as it is? 90% + ready done single cars, bought complete will still need plenty of work to make them RIGHT, and potentially hassle free. These single turbo cars are an expensive habit, how much use would you actually get from one anyway?

I bet even you have a few cars that you would be dissapointed to see being split into bits;)

I see where your coming from. I think for the time being im going to replace the engine with the replacement one i have for now, and then see what i want to do sometime down the line. After I have had more time to think things over.

No, they are still just cars, if cutting one in two with a Stihl saw made more financial sense than selling it whole I'd have no qualms at all about it. Your decision makes good sense, neer rush into things like starting a single build, or planning to buy a ready done one. Go and see a few and see what the quality of work is like, and wait to see if they bring the asking price or if it's just flying a kite. Good luck with whatever you decide, hope it works out as you would wish, cheers Gavin.