The mkiv Supra Owners Club

In-car footage of my Supra at the World Time Attack 2012

Guest alj

Some good comitted driving there !

From doing a bit of motorsport myself it looks like you are having to fight the car on every corner exit when power is applied, have you got the back end a little too stiff by any chance?

Despite the car looking bloody awesome in a Mad Max meets Star Wars type of fashion I think it is just too low to get the best from whatever suspension you have on there.

Raise it by 25mm and have a play around with the damping.

I'm lovin' the front wheel arch design, now thats my kinda solution!:D

Thing you need a bigger wing :p

Quite an aggressive driving style, though doesn't look like you were hanging about. What sort of power were you running then?

Thanks, its just what happens when you get the Supra up to speed.. it had a bit of oversteer which we were slowly tuning out, we just didnt have enough time on the track. As it was sith adjustments we were knocking seconds off our time each time we went out. The car isnt super powered, it's only running 500rwhp.

Despite the car looking bloody awesome in a Mad Max meets Star Wars type of fashion I think it is just too low to get the best from whatever suspension you have on there.

Raise it by 25mm and have a play around with the damping.

I'm lovin' the front wheel arch design, now thats my kinda solution!:D

Sorry mate, your wrong, the suspension has full movement, and we were playing with the bound and rebound.. we have had a tonne of spring rates in it at practice. Trust me, it has more than a Superpro bush kit in it. :eyebrows:

Sorry mate, your wrong, the suspension has full movement, and we were playing with the bound and rebound.. we have had a tonne of spring rates in it at practice. Trust me, it has more than a Superpro bush kit in it. :eyebrows:

Well I'm certainly not going to argue with you.

But you are wrong!:p

Ah I'm only kidding mate, you know best, the car and driver just looks to be hopping about the place in the footage.

Australian tracks aren't the smoothest though, from what I've seen of the V8's on the TV.

Please get a spec list of the car up.

Would recommend losing the bus steering wheel, or at the very least get it put on straight.

Over committed at the start of the lap but reigned it back in towards the end. If that was your fastest lap I reckon you have a second or two in those first 3 or 4 corners with the amount of sideways action I saw.

Give us the spec of your car and few more photos please.

Any set of tyres will struggle with 500RWHP and sh1t loads of torque...especially whilst trying to accelerate and deal with sideways forces too. The Supra is heavy no matter how much is stripped out. So the pendulum effect is tough on the tyres.

Earlier braking my be required for a neater corner but hey it was fooking quick as it was.

What Diff are you using?

The Supra is heavy no matter how much is stripped out. So the pendulum effect is tough on the tyres.

Fairly light in comparison to newer cars on the market - take the GTR for example OR even M3, M5s.

Ive driven a new M3 round brands hatch and was extremely impressed by how well the car handled - extremely balanced. the grip too was impressive.

having said that, none of those have 500WHP - perhaps there is much more to it that the power, torque and tyres - maybe advancement in suspension, chassis & meterial technology is leaving the supra behind?

Well of course, suspension geo and kinematics have moved on but it sounds like the chap is putting effort into this area. The chassis maybe too flexible to allow the optimal setup. The boost maybe a light switch to massive torque, so no matter how careful the throttle application is, the tyres are overwhelmed.

It's why I was asking about the Diff. As this is an area that can be improved.

Also, lets face it, he could use Traction Control via a Syvecs/Motec/RLTC to kill some of it too...

Nice driving, the car looks and sounds sweet, lots of expert drivers in this thread giving you advice:D ask to see there in-car videos;)

While I never claimed to be an expert driver I've nothing to be embarrassed about, pink paint notwithstanding.:innocent:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pedrosixfour?feature=mhee

attachment.php?attachmentid=156406&d=1345216207

attachment.php?attachmentid=156407&d=1345216207

attachment.php?attachmentid=156408&d=1345216207

attachment.php?attachmentid=156409&d=1345217307

I've a long way to go before either the car or myself are WTA standard but judging by lap times since the engine swap the car would certainly hold its own in the Pro Class of the Irish Time Attack series which I guess is the goal and seeing as I'm the one doing all the work on a shoestring I think I'm doing ok.

003.JPG

013.JPG

005.JPG

DSCF0011(1).JPG

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

I reckon you are doing great pedrosixfour. I was just giving you shit, cause you dont know my car or the setup.. very cool that you race too!

Alex: I could get traction control, and active diff's and all that electronic jazz, but quite frankly its one of the reasons I drive the Supra... 'cause you know the DRIVER is doing it all... not like the ugly R35. Also the chassis on the Supra is hugely stiff! jack up one corner high... bet it takes the other corner with it.. then open and close the door (it will do it with ease)... now go and try that on a S15/180sx/wrx/any honda. The car pulls 1.2-1.4G with the tyres I had, not bad for 1450kg street setup (full interior etc).

I reckon you are doing great pedrosixfour. I was just giving you shit, cause you dont know my car or the setup.. very cool that you race too!

No worries mate, telling you that there is something wrong with your car from the other side of the world deserved a bit of stick. What IS the spec, c'mon, spill it!

not like the ugly R35

Priceless :D

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it after all the hard work on the car!

Hate writing up specs, cause its kinda bs... but here goes:

its 500rwhp, 620rwtq at 22psi (fattest tq cyrve we could wind in it on 98)

264/264 cams

gtx35r (which blew up on the track - in the same video you see)

Suspension is KW, with spring rate changes (I'd look at MCA suspension if I was buying again)

swaybars

now the boring but REAL stuff.... massive oil cooler, koyorad radiator-STOCK fan, sml power steering cooler, toyota gear oil and radiator coolant, ducted brakes.