The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hammered / krackle texture stonechip paint

Digsy

Not really Supra related per se, but I want it for my Supra so it goes in here :p

I want an overpaintable stonechip that gives the same kind of textured finish that the stock stonechip on the Supra has (on cars without a factory fitted bodykit). I bought a can of spray on stonechip made by Hammerite but luckily I tested it on a spare door first. It came out smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom, and didn't look much different to normal paint.

I reckon a layer of proper, brush on Hammerite would give the finish I am after, but IIRC you cannot paint over that? Can anyone suggest a brand or product that will do what I am after?

Yes, that's the stuff.

Spray on Schutz stone chip put on with the proper gun is what gives that textured look, and it can be over painted. The BMW Schutz is what i use, available in white or black, can be over painted or left virgin. i think this is what you are talking about, anyway ;)

Cheers. I probably should have mentioned that I ideally want something in a rattle can, or something that can be brushed on.

I'm presently doing the underside of my car with a schutz gun and compressor but I just remembered that I had an aerosol that I had forgotten about which I've just tried.

You can get quite a good textured finish with the aerosol by just applying it very thick. I applied one coat to get it to bond, left that for 15 mins and given it a thick coat to get the finish, I was expecting it to sag but it didn't.

It was the U-Pol Gravi Guard stonechip aerosol.