The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU parts prices ?

thedirtycat

Was thinking of getting the extra parts to go full bpu very soon. Now I know what I need but not 100% sure which are the best bits to get.

I know people say walbro fuel pumps are good but which one for BPU? I know Jurgen recommended HKS fuel cut defender. The only other thing I'm not really sure about is the boost controller. It seems they can be quite expensive but what exactly is the difference between a cheaper boost controller and a more expensive one ? Don't they all just do the same thing ?

What would be a good boost controller for BPU levels ?

Also what would be the cost of each part? It looks like the boost controller is by far the most expensive part but seems like there is a big range in price depending on which one you go for.

I already have both cats removed and a restrictor ring in that is restricting it to 0.8 bar of boost. Also will need a new boost guage because mine is broken and only reading 0.7 bar and rattling on full boost which is annoying. Not sure what spark plugs I have but I read Iridium IK22 plugs or NGK BCPR7ES are good.

I did have a quick seach on the forums and on google but just needed advice on the best parts really as most sites are rather vague and don't give you product suggestions.

A boost controller for BPU is a must if you want that kick on second turbo. The stock 0.8 is very tame but at 1.1 or 1.2 you notice the differences straight away, the boost controller varies in prices depending on brand new and second hand prices are around £150 - 300. All boost controller do the same thing but some comes with extra features and etc, the other option is maybe a manual boost controller.

This topic has been covered numerous amount of time within the forum, search is your friend :)

Heres a link for BPU guide http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-(Basic-Performance-Upgrade)

A boost controller for BPU is a must if you want that kick on second turbo. The stock 0.8 is very tame but at 1.1 or 1.2 you notice the differences straight away, the boost controller varies in prices depending on brand new and second hand prices are around £150 - 300. All boost controller do the same thing but some comes with extra features and etc, the other option is maybe a manual boost controller.

This topic has been covered numerous amount of time within the forum, search is your friend :)

Heres a link for BPU guide http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-(Basic-Performance-Upgrade)

Thanks. Didnt notice there were loads of replies in that that thread with questions and answers. However I couldn't see too much on what parts were best apart from someone said they would go for the Greddy BCC over the HKS FCD because of the way it works. I guess both are ok though.

You've got it all wrong, you don't need a boost controller.

How else are you going to get more boost ? Boost controller is the best way I though. Only other way is by boring out the restrictor ring but then isn't that a bit of guess work as you don't know how much the boost is going to inrease by.

- - - Updated - - -

Fcd should set you back about £60 no more than that. Some places are charging £120 for it and it's just robbery.

Yeah I was looking at about that kind of price. Thats about what Keron told me they cost.

Yes restrictor ring should still be in place that should hold boost at whatever size your rr is 1bar 1.1 etc either way bc fitted or not you will still need the rr. The bc will only be needed if the car doesn't raise boost levels on its own after cats are removed. Some cars will still hold stock boost when the cats are removed that's when the bc will be needed but not essential depending on how the car reacts to the cats being removed.

A U.K. spec pump is cheaper, quieter and plug&play.

A new UK pump use to be more expensive are they cheaper now? The UK pump is quieter and do flow more than a Walbro 255l/hr, the UK pump is a different fit, they can be bodged on J-spec hanger but would be better to use a UK hanger.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

You don't 'need' a boost controller on a J-spec TT but it gives you more control over the boost, allows you to run higher boost through lower gears and can make a significant difference to how quickly the turbos spool up.

A couple of threads on the subject

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?245861-boost-controller-questions&highlight=color

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?246750-Manual-Boost-Controller-VS-Electronic-Boost-Controller&highlight=boost

i use Greddy Profec spec 11. its very easy to fit and to set up. if i was you i would bore the RR out in till it raises boost to 1bar at least if your going to use a boost controller, as your RR is holding you at almost stock leavels. If you raise the boost with a boost controller with that RR in place, you could get alot of backpressure from it and stall the turbo on full boost and plus run the risk of overheating the them.

i use Greddy Profec spec 11. its very easy to fit and to set up. if i was you i would bore the RR out in till it raises boost to 1bar at least if your going to use a boost controller, as your RR is holding you at almost stock leavels. If you raise the boost with a boost controller with that RR in place, you could get alot of backpressure from it and stall the turbo on full boost and plus run the risk of overheating the them.

Hmm I was wondering about that. Although I thought some other people have raised boost from 0.8 to 1.2 with no problems. Also I will run at 1.1 bar max anyway. Just found a guy on here selling a boost controller for a good price.. will pm you what it is!

if you have the cash then blitz i color is a good boost controller, i have one and its crazy

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2282.aspx

Whats so crazy about it ?

The one someone was selling on the forums was a Blitz SBC Spec R Dual Solenoid Boost Controller,

not sure how good it is or how it would compare to your blitz controller ?

That boost controller you have does look pretty good actually.

I think the blitz controller Ashbuster has allows you to set the boost for each gear. The cheaper ones like the Greedy profec don't have this feature so you will boost higher in the higher gears then you will in the lower ones. The blitz although very good can be hard to set up yourself.

if you have the cash then blitz i color is a good boost controller, i have one and its crazy

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2282.aspx

Told ya it was good ;)

Fast car does ALOT more than that. Performance read out via graphs, different channel settings, boost read outs, speed read outs, tacho read outs etc..

As Pm'ed mate I have a Walbro one up for grabs soon

Told ya it was good ;)

Fast car does ALOT more than that. Performance read out via graphs, different channel settings, boost read outs, speed read outs, tacho read outs etc..

As Pm'ed mate I have a Walbro one up for grabs soon

Hmm, that boost controller does look good. Whats it like for performance ? Will you be able to get a lot more in the way of performance compared to cheaper boost controllers? The fuel pump would be good :-)