The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front mounted intercooler on a UK spec car + UK spec questions

NathWraith

Do a search, it's been discussed about a million times before.

Also there are a couple of cars with both active spoiler and FMIC, I believe there is one in Germany and USA.

If your SMIC has sen better days, why not replace it with an up-rated SMIC?

This will allow you to keep the active spoiler and have a more capable intercooler which will be acceptable for even a small single.

I don't understand the fascination with having a FMIC(suppose it tells people "I've got a turbo"), when a SMIC is available and will allow you to keep the active spoiler.

On a rare unmolested UK spec like yours I'd fit a side mounted intercooler and keep the dildos

True, I never have looked into side mounted intercooler to be honest. When searching "front mounted intercooler and UK spec" doesn't turn up anything specific.

Any recommendations for a decent SMIC? I guess a good one will support BPU no problem?

Get in contact with Chris Wilson he does/did a good replacements for the side mount IC, and you can run a 400 plus BPU car with no problem with a side mount, it does save you a lot of hassle and work, and you really should keep your active spoiler but try to get one of the kits that gives you full manual control of it, if you have it down all the time and the car is your Daily drive you will catch it on things.

Any recommendations for a decent SMIC? I guess a good one will support BPU no problem?

A stock SMIC with the stock ducting will be more efficient than a lot of cheap FMIC's without any ducting. The ducting forces the air to pass through the vanes of the IC, compare this with a FMIC with gaps around the side the air will take the path of least resistance and flow around the FMIC.

Japanese companies GReddy and ARC use to do very good quality SMIC's for the Supra but these have been discontinued for a while, however they come up now and again 2nd hand. Chris Wilson use to make an SMIC which a lot of members are using and Whifbitz sell an SMIC http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-cooling-parts-intercoolers-garage-whifbitz-p-11829.html

I'm going to look into installing an active spoiler with FMIC on my car. I nearly have all the parts and will then begin the process of seeing if there is room and what needs to be fabricated to make this work. If there are other cars running this then it is possible, will just require some thought.