The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is anyone actually interested in buying supras anymore??

wallis

Been keeping a Pretty close eye on the classifieds and piston heads etc.

Doesnt seem much is moving, only breaking!!

I took a moral stance not to break my car, but seems if I want to start my next project i might have too :-(

Has the current market and recession really killed it for the supra?

Is my car priced that far out??

Has anyone even got the money these days for silly toys??

What's going on :-(

One problem is that these are old cars and the sellers are asking to much in my opinion. My single was on here for about two weeks when it was sold.. I know we throw thousands into them but you will never get this back unless you break it.. I was lucky and only lost about £4k of money I spent on her..

People are skint these days and the recession is playing a big part at the moment IMO. I was lucky for mine to sell tbh, when it did as chris was looking for a all ready built single. To be fair prices are fair imo, 6 speed TT will sell for 10k all day long, although you will have to wait for the right buyer to come along. People drop there prices fast in order to sell them quick as they need the money.

I reckon supra's will pick up again, these are rare cars and to be fair, can scare top end motors these days for a fraction of the price

I am, I've just been lacking the funds lol, I'm hoping that'll be changing by the end of the year as I'll be picking up a nice bonus. There have been some amazing cars that have gone for way less than they are worth. Most people can't afford to run a big engined car when petrol is so expensive, add insurance for running mods and an import and the fact it's an old car and most people would be put off on face value. From the looks it there are a lot of scandinavian buyers for supras though.

There are still people like myself who see it as a dream car though, so you'll still have buyers.

I love your car Wallis, but a few things will make it easier to sell, and pocket you more money :)

- return it to stock where possible. Stock bumper, stock spoiler, stock bonnet and definately stock wheels. This will attract a larger audience, and net you some more cash.

- remove the silver dash panels and replace with black or stock colour, and remove the subs, amps etc.

- fit facelift front adn rear lights. If you're lucky, you might get these on here for a good price. The money you get back from selling other parts should cover this. Silver is usually viewed as quite a bland colour on Supras, facelift lights make it look modern.

I reckon with that lot done, you'll either want to keep the car for a while longer, or it'll sell quickly. Some people will be put off as its an auto, but IMO its a very good choice with a small turbo.

Of course, breaking it will net you as much money, if not more, but that would be a great shame.

There will always be ups and downs with buyers and sellers. If you are patient then you can pick up a bargain. If you are stubborn, your car will stay for sale for ever.

Not sure what we will put ours up for when it goes, I have two close friends with VVTi tips on 97/98 plates that paid over 2.5K difference in price. I have the itch again for a change but I will have to persuade the wife first.

Still, if you want a car that is reliable, quality built and quick, the Supra is stil one of the best for the money.

H.

Nothing is selling nowadays, the only way to get most your money back is to break them (high powered supra's), The TT's seem to have held there value a little but still aint selling lol and people do ask for too much which scares people off.

Now is the time to buy a single turbo supra, never thought i would see jamies up for £30k and still got broken up but what a bargain that would have been for someone as a complete car.

Running costs are a joke, thats another thing to scare buyers off!

To be honest i think the prices of the big decent singles are too CHEAP> the fact people drop their prices so low ruins the market for sellers.

Look at the RS Cossie scene - prices stay high, and if everyone stays high, people HAVE to buy for that price - or find another make of car to drive.

Simples.

To be honest i think the prices of the big decent singles are too CHEAP> the fact people drop their prices so low ruins the market for sellers.

Look at the RS Cossie scene - prices stay high, and if everyone stays high, people HAVE to buy for that price - or find another make of car to drive.

Simples.

Agree in principle - but many of the sales on here now are not in persuit of another car/venture - many of the sales on here now, sadly, are because people need the money. And if funds are needed quickly, prices go down...

I honestly think my cars priced well, but agree with the fact the black beast was up for 30k, makes u question things!

I don't think putting my car back to stock would help in selling it one bit, it is what it is and the build had been designed needing most the modifications for mechanical reasons not cosmetic ones, apart from the bass bin and amp....lol

I'll just keep it up for sale for another month and recap from there I think!

I would say the major reasons are down to the fact the car is old, the fuel costs are high and no one has any money.

You also have to think because of the reasons above the Supra would no longer fit the daily driver category now (it barely did anyway) but really only a weekend car.

Not a lot of people have money to spend on a car they are only going to use at the weekend, not these days.

It also does not help that Toyota ended stopped production of the Supra with no announcement of a successor which killed the name dead.

Manufactures like Nissan still kept the "Skyline" brand alive to remind the public of the iconic cars.

After the R34 production ended, Nissan still had a huge presence by using the R34 in racing, then not many years later they brought out the Nissan Skyline (which was a bigger version of the 350z) which while it was hideous still kept the “skyline” brand alive, which set it up the huge GTR (R35) release.

Could it be that people have just simply forgotten about the Supra because there has been no effort expended on Toyota’s part to keep the name alive?

I went to a number of Pistonheads meets in my old Supra and found that quite a few people were asking what it was and when reminded they always said “oh yeah I remember, good cars those”.

I think it’s a culmination of Age, Fuel costs, No money and an abandoned brand, so it’s just simply dropped off people’s radar,

It’s been a long time since Toyota have done a descent sports car, so Toyota is not a brand people think of.

Maybe the GT86 will start to bring people back to the Supra… who knows, only time will tell.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Breaking the way to go to get as much money back as you can that we plough into these cars.

I only broke mine because I couldnt be bothered waiting for the right person to come along and buy it, also the extra money I will make than selling it whole its stupid not to break them IMO.

I would say the major reasons are down to the fact the car is old, the fuel costs are high and no one has any money.

You also have to think because of the reasons above the Supra would no longer fit the daily driver category now (it barely did anyway) but really only a weekend car.

Not a lot of people have money to spend on a car they are only going to use at the weekend, not these days.

It also does not help that Toyota ended stopped production of the Supra with no announcement of a successor which killed the name dead.

Manufactures like Nissan still kept the "Skyline" brand alive to remind the public of the iconic cars.

After the R34 production ended, Nissan still had a huge presence by using the R34 in racing, then not many years later they brought out the Nissan Skyline (which was a bigger version of the 350z) which while it was hideous still kept the “skyline” brand alive, which set it up the huge GTR (R35) release.

Could it be that people have just simply forgotten about the Supra because there has been no effort expended on Toyota’s part to keep the name alive?

I went to a number of Pistonheads meets in my old Supra and found that quite a few people were asking what it was and when reminded they always said “oh yeah I remember, good cars those”.

I think it’s a culmination of Age, Fuel costs, No money and an abandoned brand, so it’s just simply dropped off people’s radar,

It’s been a long time since Toyota have done a descent sports car, so Toyota is not a brand people think of.

Maybe the GT86 will start to bring people back to the Supra… who knows, only time will tell.

It could be this. Another strong mention in a new fast and furious would do the trick like the first one.

+1

Interesting as I woke up with the thought today I'm really liking the idea of buying a supra, either NA or TT but always wanted gunmetal and there doesn't appear to be any about. I've haven't had the itch for a performance car since selling my 370z, been happy to drive my freelander. I've been loving the freelander as its the cheapest car I've had in years (less than 3k, bought as a runaround as I'm supposed to be relocating soon). Driving the 370 was just not enjoyable enough - I was worried about parking it, people scratching it, stone chips (it only had 500miles) and whereas it was a dream to drive the experience was marred.

I digress, so back to supras - from my brief search today they seem to fall into two categories - cheap supras with tacky modifications or poor condition (fair enough for cars approaching 20 years old) or very expensive (for age, IMO) clean cars.

I still think the Supra (with a good kit as standard look is not so nice) is one of the best looking cars ever made. I was tempted to look at the v8 one for sale on here, but wonder what the (I guess) heavier engine would do to an already skittish car.

Just to add, my old NA with the nur spec exhaust was THE nicest sounding car I have ever owned, no car since (and there have been lots) has ever made me smile like that thing did. My neighbour used it as his alarm clock and would complain if I had a day off as he'd sleep late.

Edited by ozz (see edit history)

Dealers are much worse for overpricing their cars. I've seen N/As advertised by dealers for 4.5 or 5 grand, which you can start looking at a TT for.

I actually think the higher end supra's around the 8-10k mark are extremely good value for money when you consider that 8-10k doesn't get you anything that's much good now for a new car.

I also think a large part of the issue is the Age but not because of its Actual age but peoples perspective.

"But it’s a L reg" - At the end of the day its Reg plate snobbery... Age does not matter if you are an enthusiast of cars.

If you look at the car as it is... as a car, then what you get even for a stock TT is a bargain.