The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT time, cat question

TubbyTwo

As of 1st Jan this year, if a cat was fitted when the car was built, then if it's missing that's a valid reason for a failure - or so I've read.

It all comes down to the garage you take it to really - how they interpret the guidelines, how they feel on the day, if they like you or not etc etc.

Mine passes without any cat fitted at the garage I take it to, other places would possibly fail it.

Why not just ring a few MOT garages and see what they say.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

The MOT manual actually says:

Method of Inspection

3. On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

Reason for Rejection

3. A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard.

So they only check for a cat if they are doing a full cat emissions test. It's not just about whether one was fitted as standard.

I had my MOT on Tuesday, and the tester told me that if it didn't have a cat fitted he wouldn't even test it!

I told him that it did have one, but that it originally had two. He passed it so you shouldn't need both cats as long as one gets your emissions low enough, and this guy is not what you would call a "friendly" MOT tester (I routinely get advisories for "non-standard exhaust" and "noisy exhaust" This with a Blitz NuR Spec with baffle and centre CAT fitted, I think it purrs quite nicely.) I certainly wouldn't try without a CAT, mine is fitted all the time anyway as it works brilliantly as my restrictor ring. :D

Mike

If it's an import and pre 94 the emissions tests have a bit of a grey area, I've never had cats fitted and my cars passed 8 years in a row, even from bpu and going single.

There's legal documentation on the Internet explaining that u can enter an imports chassis no. instead of engine no. at the test station during the emissions test on a pre 94 imported vehicle, because it's imported there's no engine data for it to fail on emissions so will pass.

It's not breaking the laws of mot testing and doesn't apply to any uk supras or cars over the 93 year Unfortunatly ;-(

In regards to an n/a test, I've seen loads of posts whete people get through with out cats on and pass emissions fine, doesnt an n/a run on hot air anyway??? ;-)

People get caught up a lot on the import/non-import thing, the only real grey areas are vehicles that have had engines swapped, for a TT or an NA its actually pretty simple under the letter of the regs.

If its a 2JZ-GTE (UK or JDM) then regardless of year it has a cat test carried out to vehicle specific limits as per VOSA guidelines (and requires a cat to be fitted as per the visual check of the cat test).

If its an N/A then if it was made before the 31st of July 1995 it takes a non cat test (and doesn't have a visual check to see if ones there) and if it was made later than that it takes a cat test carried out to default limits (and requires a cat to be fitted as per the visual check of the cat test).

One important thing that I don't believe anybody has mentioned yet though is that a default cat test is harder to pass than the Supra specific one for the 2JZ-GTE, the default limits test the idle at 450-1500 RPM and the fast idle at 2500-3000 RPM whereas the Supra specific one tests them at 600-700 RPM and 2400-2600 RPM respectively. So make sure your garage do the right one (unless your fluking a non-cat test ofc) or they may test the idles too high.

• 2 weeks later...