The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Condensation in my expensive Carbon LED Rear Lights!! :-(

Peter P

Hi Guys,

I recently forked out a large chunk of change to buy a second hand set of the Carbon/LED rear lights that Blue Angel makes from a member on here.

Unfortunatley, condensation has been getting into the drivers side light which then fogs up and blurs the LED's. :(

It does disappear after a couple of days back in my garage, but is bloody annoying!! :rolleyes:

I'm assuming it's getting in through the boot lock, but don't claim to be an expert in this area by any means! ;)

Given these are hard to come by and cost a small fortune, would anyone be able to help me out by taking them apart, drying them out and resealing them?! I'd sort out some money for the work obviously.

Not really comfortable trying to fix it myself! ;)

Cheers.

Pete

I wouldn't split them, you won't get them sealed up as good as they come from the factory and likely get dust/dirt inside the cluster whilst you are trying. Its common for rear lights develop condensation problems inside, the best way to treat it is by removing the rear light clusters, Not sure about the Supra but all of my previous cars usually have a foam pad that sits between the light cluster and your bodywork. Take this off give it a good wash, dry it and coat it in Vaseline (it will make the rubber/foam expand and water tight) also put some Vaseline round where the bulb holder connect to the light, put it all back together and if done properly it will be fine.

Edited by r2ck_p (see edit history)

Thanks for all the pointers guys. :thumbs:

I'll pop the light out and stick in our airing cupboard for a couple of days to make sure all the moisture in out.

Might block off the rear lock completely (think this may be why it's leaking, as there was loads of sikaflex in there when I fitted them) and just use the release inside the car.

Must admit it was quite a heart sinking moment when you consider how expensive these are to find it all misted up! :(

I take rear lighst appart quite a bit (as it happens I have 13 pairs sat in the spare room to split and covert into LED lights)... the mositure will be getting in between the outer lense and the "carbon" insert as there glued from factory. Toyota use lots of mastic to seal the halfs together. I've taken a set appart quite few times, resealed them and never had condensation - also... the lights have "breathers" on the back.

Best solution, would be to split the light, take the insert out and put some mastic/silkaflex between the insert and outer lenses where they join at the lock hole.

I've also repaired some of Ric/Blueangels LED lights and he also puts desicant packs is to absorb moisture, which is great until the absorb all the moisture they can, then can rupture.

oh right, I assumed you buy them like this from an aftermarker manufacturer. never actually seen them before.

Unfortunately Top Secret iirc made the first set for one of their cars, but didnt ever go into production. Heckler on here makes them (when he hasnt got a bulk order from Europe) but they aren't cheap :(