The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey from the USA.

Guest Parker

Guest Parker

I joined the forum today because im in the market for a rhd Supra. Im

Looking at my options on shipping the car back to the states. Theres a possibility of flying over to look at the car I choose when the time comes. Right now just doing my research.

• 2 weeks later...
some states have exceptions though i think, but they the car has to stay a resident of that state for one year...i think

No legal exceptions, those are the rules. If you want a street legal supra in the states that is imported thats all you can do. The MKIV Supra car is not on the NHTSA list of Eligible imports, it will not classify as a vehicle of "significant historical value" for show purposes and importing one as a racecar is only good for one year.

25 years is the only hassle free way to get one in.

Guest Parker

Im in south carolina. There are ways around the 25 year rule. Esp in south carolina being that there are no emissions in sc. All i need is eta form and dot form along with a translated title and bill if sale. Ive spoken with my department of motor vehicles and they say thats all i need. Resale isnt as big of a deal as long as you stick with a 96 and under vehicle so that you dont ever have to deal with other states emmisions. Looking for rhd for a few reasons. One its a rareity over in the states. I have found that tt 6 speed supras over here are 25-75k dollars over here and I can fly to the uk pay around 10k for a supra and its only going to cost around 1300 to ship to Charleston Sc port. Im in the process of purchasing a house at the moment so my search for a supra has been put on the back burner for a few months. Still plan to look around until then.

Thanks from the states!

Parker

Im in south carolina. There are ways around the 25 year rule. Esp in south carolina being that there are no emissions in sc. All i need is eta form and dot form along with a translated title and bill if sale. Ive spoken with my department of motor vehicles and they say thats all i need. Resale isnt as big of a deal as long as you stick with a 96 and under vehicle so that you dont ever have to deal with other states emmisions. Looking for rhd for a few reasons. One its a rareity over in the states. I have found that tt 6 speed supras over here are 25-75k dollars over here and I can fly to the uk pay around 10k for a supra and its only going to cost around 1300 to ship to Charleston Sc port. Im in the process of purchasing a house at the moment so my search for a supra has been put on the back burner for a few months. Still plan to look around until then.

Thanks from the states!

Parker

I am telling you the facts on a legal rhd supra, I've been researching this exact topic for 18 months. The DMV is incorrect, you will not be able to legally import any vehicle unless it is on the NHTSA list of nonconforming vehicles eligible for importation in the USA. The RHD supra is not on the list, therefore you are taking a serious risk by buying and importing. You can import whatever the hell you want, you WILL NOT be able to register the vehicle, and if you somehow manage to, when feds catch on your vehicle will be towed off and crushed. MOTOREX cars are still being seized and crushed as they find them.

Believe what you want, I know what the rules are for importation. If you dont believe me then call US Specs, they are on the registered importer list from NHTSA.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it is hard enough to find information, and usually information you find on forums is misinformation and only adds to the confusion.

Now, if you were smart, this is what you would do: find a jdm/UK 1992/93 supra, store the car in a secured facility outside usa until 25, then import/ship the car in. At 25 these cars walk into the US as long as drivetrain is the same.

I am really trying to help you here, there are less and less of these cars and we dont need more destroyed due to misinformation.

Guest Parker

There are soooo many rhd integras over here i dont kno what they have done to get them here. Ive owned a rhd integra titled and everything. My buddy has a r32 skyline also. Ill look into it further. Thanks for ur help.

There are soooo many rhd integras over here i dont kno what they have done to get them here. Ive owned a rhd integra titled and everything. My buddy has a r32 skyline also. Ill look into it further. Thanks for ur help.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, so sorry if it comes off that way. There are ways around the rules but they aren't legal, I just don't want you to get your car taken if you find one. I just finally got mine here in the uk and won't be coming back until the car is 25. I have rumors of NHTSA possibly changing it to 20 years but...it's the government so I doubt it :(