The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Axle stands adapters for Supra

Dim Sum

Good thread. From reading and asking questions on here, I gather that the sill jacking points are not the best places to jack the car up, possibly because the sill's protruding lip is liable to get crushed by the weight of the car pushing down on the OEM wheel jack. I'm guessing that the jacking areas on the sill are reinforced to take the car's weight over a small area (if not, it'd be a pretty rubbish jacking point!)

So, I guess one of the requirements of the axle stand adapter is that it has a recess deep enough to prevent the lip being crushed: is that correct?

Trolley jack as well. :)

As Craig said, an ice hockey puck and a grinder works well for a trolley jack, although clearance might be a problem.

You could easily knock something up in wood for the axle stands. The important thing is to straddle the seam and spread the load on the sill.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Personally I wouldn't want to be jacking up a near 20 year old car under the sills, nor putting axle stands there, either. You are far less likely to do damage by jacking under structural parts, or the rear diff, and supporting off the rear lower arms and the front cast allot X-member. The stock "jacking points" are probably created with the Americans in mind, many of which are far too fat to get down low to see and place anything further inboard ;)

lol, apart from CW there seems to be a bit of interest in the idea of (very stiff) rubber or poly adaptors, I'll ask my mate whether he can do anything.

Chris - I often jack off the diff or whatever but then I'm never that sure where I an use t support the car once I drop it back down - apart form the sill jacking points / tyre change points. :(

What Dnk drew is the sort of basic design I had in mind; functional and hopefully easy (cheap) to produce.

Making them out of round nylon bar would be easier and cheaper by the looks of it,

round nylon bar is readily available but to get rectangular pieces you'd probably have to buy

it in sheet form and cut strips out of it adding to the cost.

jacking blocks.gif

The stock "jacking points" are probably created with the Americans in mind, many of which are far too fat to get down low to see and place anything further inboard

Probably.

You are far less likely to do damage by jacking under structural parts, or the rear diff, and supporting off the rear lower arms and the front cast allot X-member.

I always jack under the diff and front cross member, but just inboard of the rear jacking point there's an area of fairly heavy duty structure, if I use axle stands I put them there.

Definitely, I've been removing the underseal back to bare metal under the car and so have had a good look at the structure underneath, the standard jacking points are nowhere near as strong as other locations further inboard.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

Swampy442

I always jack under the diff and front cross member, but just inboard of the rear jacking point there's an area of fairly heavy duty structure, if I use axle stands I put them there.

Me too that's exactly how I lift and support.

I always lift the car on main structural points and put the axle stands on the heavy duty structure running along the floor pan. I always use wood pads between the jack and the car and the axle stands and the structure to keep metal to metal contact to a minimum

• 2 weeks later...
I've got to admit, I never jack mine off the sills and as for "Axle" stands, it should be easy to guess where they're intended to support? ;)

Have you tried supporting the supra on its axles? Unless you're working on something like an old Series Land Rover, you'd probably need an alternative approach (I've not got much experience in this though so happy to be corrected). Since independent suspension and transaxles became the norm many years ago, axle stands can't easily be used on what passes as axles. CV shafts aren't load-bearing AFAIK, so I'm not sure they'd take kindly to be being used to support a car's weight. Even if they were, cross-members like on the front of the supra won't let you put an axle stand within a sniff of the axle.