The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whos running an R154 set up?

viper

in two minds about what to do as i dont intend to go anymore from BPU and just want to run the car on the drag strip now and again.

the cost of the v160 is putting me off and want to know more about opinions about the w154 set up and if its goign to be good enough or what i want to do?

You want to stay at BPU level ? If so W58 from an atmo is enough and very cheap (you dont need to modify anything to fit it to a auto car), just put a decent clutch and It'll be perfect, I saw few setups with a Single turbo approcahing 550 bhp with the W58 without any issue.

Also W58 works perfectly with the TT auto differential and you get a nice top speed.

R154 is good and strong but you can feel this is 20+ years old... also you will need some skills to make it work with a TT like shifter extension, bellhousing change etc

It is better to save more money and buy a v160 directly, instead of R154 IMO or like I said W58 for BPU

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)

thats for the advice, but i beg to differ as i am running bpu and my W58 is lacking a few teeth on the input shaft and the counter gear.

So im guessing W58 isnt strong enough, hence why i want a new box.

need details on the R154

Like I said very old gearbox and you can feel it...

What you need :

MK3 (or manual soarer) complete clutch with flywheel and release bearing

MK4 bellhousing

Shifter extension (more info here : http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?273612-R154-shifter-extension&highlight=r154)

Front part of the propshaft from mk3/manual soarer

Slave cylinder form R154

I guess thats all... correct me if I am wrong ;)

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)

Mk3 supras and manual TT Soarer

Like I said very old gearbox and you can feel it...

What you need :

MK3 (or manual soarer) complete clutch with flywheel and release bearing

MK4 bellhousing

Shifter extension (more info here : http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?273612-R154-shifter-extension&highlight=r154)

Front part of the propshaft from mk3/manual soarer

Slave cylinder form R154

I guess thats all... correct me if I am wrong ;)

Or pm Dr jeckyll. He ran an r154 in his track car so knows all the ins and outs.

But you are correct. The w58 is not really good for bpu. Hence why I am still running 0.9 bar with a w58 until I get an r154 or getrag.

If you have no intention of going beyond bpu the the r154 is ideal. Even if it is an old box, if well looked after then will be no more stiff or clunky than a getrag box.

If you have no intention of going beyond bpu the the r154 is ideal.

In my opinion, W58 is idela for BPU.

R154 is a stronger box than mk4 W58 and few guys are pushing over 400bhp with the W58, so he R154 could be looked on as a more reliable option but definitely not a BPU level box.

R154 are rated comfortabe at 600bhp without issues, as long as they have been looked after. I've heard of them pushing silly power but seeing is believing.

I've always been advised a w58 is going to be pushing its luck at bpu. Hence my lower boost setting.

I think most go r154 or getrag once bpu to be honest. Maybe it's just a to be safe thing. But if your w58 has taken a beating, and your planning on hard shifts on the strip, then I would personally suggest r154 or even better getrag mate. Just my opinion.

unless your minted, the R154 is the better option. the getrag is proven time and time again better for sure, but you can buy at least 5 R154's for 1 getrag, is it worth the cost if your not going to use the performance?

W58's take a good beating. some guys have trouble at 360bhp. parry had 427hp and his lasted since he dropped it in there. Jekyl ran his at 450+ levels for a little bit before it gave way and crumbled. They aren't naff boxes just not up to a beating AND most importantly guys, not all boxes are treated or looked after the same, which is strange because all R154's go for the same sort of price.

Rough sort of prices, may help:

1jz/r154 Clutch good for the torque

1jz/r154 flywheel(I use a lightweight)

£600-£700

R154-JZ bell housing

£200-£300

Front part of the prop shaft from a MKIII supra

£ no idea, imagine it wouldn't be that expensive if you tried the boys over at MKIIIsupra.net

R154 gearbox

£350-£650

And a shifter to make it marry up to the transmission tunnel of the MKIV.

There's pics in my wanted thread. The chaser style is the better for position. But the two soarer types should work.

I'm getting the old type soarer shifter in the morning.the cost to get all the parts to modify the MKIII R154 was £320

I've a good r154 gearbox for sale £500 plus delivery, I'm in northern Ireland but I don't think delivery would be that dear as I have a friend in a courier company over here

I was for useing it myself but managed to get a six speed conversion instead (right place right time)

Ps it took me ages to find one and touched lucky one day with a car going to scrap although the man knew what they were worth lol

Edited by Darragh (see edit history)

Guest JohnSupra1

R154 gearbox getting more expensive now!!! Example £600 just gearbox from MK3 supra then you need 1JZ bellhousing, Prop shaft, Padel sets, Master Cylinder, Slave cylinder,Speedo sensor, Clutch, 1JZ flywheel, tranny mount, cross bar,Shifter extension,Fork and bit more i think. It will cost you around more than £1500 all in i think..

Soarer R154 Gearbox are very Rare and more expensive than Supra MK3. Soarer gearbox will fit straight in!

I have Soarer (Chaser) R154 gearbox full conversion, can't wait put them on my car soon..:D

Guest JohnSupra1

Well your is manual already. You can keep that master cylinder and pedals. I assume you need slave cylinder, 1JZ bellhousing and shifter extension. Your W58 bellhousing won't fit on R154.