The mkiv Supra Owners Club

headlight restoration what have i done wrong.. (update de-lining 08/12/12)

ballsdeep

well guys i eventually got myself a set of facelift headlights that needed a refurb so i rubbing them down 800 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 - 2500 wet n dry, then a plastic polish kit and plasticx. now they looked good but i read some where to laquer them to get them crystal clear.. so i though it would be easier to give them to the bodyshop next to work to have a play. he came over to me before finishing to tell me the laquer was cracking and seperating! :(

has he not degreased them well enough or have i got the whole laquered headlight information wrong and ruined my lenses??

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

Hmm, have worked on a fair few pairs on lights and I cant say ive ever seen the laquer on a lens cracking / seperating.?

Maybe worth putting up some pics of what they look like before saying what it coudl be or what could be done with them..

With a good key you should have no problem with seperation. When I used to do it once id finished flatting it I'd go over it with a grey scotch pad then chuck it in the paint shop.

Dont lacquer the inside, you lacquer the outside only. Best thing to do with the inside is flat it good and proper then polish it with a rotary polisher.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Sounds like they werent properly finised down and degreased. Polishes are oil based so require removing properly with either panel wipe or an IPA/water mix. I didnt bother lacquering mine, just a quick whip round with a DA once a month keeps them looking fresh.

Ah the joys of old plastic headlights!

They are well and truely ruined!! this is afer i attempted to remove the lacquer with thinners, wasnt sure if i could soak them for too long so this is the out come.. untitled.png they would have looked quality if they didnt crack so i will not be giving up!! but think i may be looking for a passenger lense as i have a spare drivers side.

Don't laquer them mate, I read up on this on t'internet before doing mine, loads of people have had nightmares with it, very few seem to have a long term success by laquering them.

Just sand it off again and start again, then just keep giving them a polish plasticX every few weeks, job done :thumbs:

To the original poster, that was my thread about laquering headlights, when i did my first ever refurb. Both my headlights are laquered on the inside, and they have stayed 100% perfect for more than a year now. Thinners/IPA were used on them to get rid of the yellowness, as well as sanding, but i only used 1200 grit upwards. I actually ended up sanding the inside of one of my headlights, because i thought thats what you were meant to do :p so a mate of mine at a bodyshop laquered the inside, it got rid of all the scratches, and it was crystal clear, so i did the other one too!

In your case, i think the best thing to do is to sand them down again...i know its a painstaking process, but its the only way of saving those headlights!