The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying my first supra?

xmatt69x

Hi I know its a while away but into getting a supra in 2 and half years time,i have already looked at a few supra's on eBay and pistonheads to see the sort of price to aim for but I am worried by the time I've saved for one the prices may have gone up,can any body tell me if they are like to go up within my time frame?Im looking at get a twin or single turbo hopefully auto and I'm aiming to save 5k for my first supra if that's possible to get one for that price.

Thanks for the reply,Well I'm 24 now always been on my wife's insurance so I have no no claims but 6 year drive experience,it will probably take me that long to save and hopefully by then my insurance would have come down abit.I would love to have the option of getting one now but a divorce would be on the cards if I did,its took me this long to convince my wife about getting one.

Thanks for the reply,Well I'm 24 now always been on my wife's insurance so I have no no claims but 6 year drive experience,it will probably take me that long to save and hopefully by then my insurance would have come down abit.I would love to have the option of getting one now but a divorce would be on the cards if I did,its took me this long to convince my wife about getting one.

Just divorce her it will be worth it :D yeah insurance would be a killer with no ncb, if your set on getting one use the time you are waiting/saving to learn as much as you can about the cars and try and get to a few meets it will help you when your in a position to buy one.

Nice car by the way,no divorce ain't an option :).ye may have to get to a local greet if there any close by.I have loved supra's since I was about 17 but everything always came first but I think its time to change that.I hope that stay around the sort of prices they are now as I got my heart set on one.I have learnt a lot just from looking on here.still a ball ache that I have to wait.

I think you have nothing to worry about. If you start looking now, you probably find one you really like and then watch it go to someone else. Only makes you feel bad. Might as well look at the supras when its time to buy. The current market ain't that great for sellers but in a few years, it could be cheaper due to numbers of factors like increase in petrol cost and etc.

Cheers mate for that hope your right,ive already seen one or two I like that went for silly money really.looks like ill just have to sit and wait for the time being and hopefully ill be posting in a few years time that I'm in the market for one.

Guest johnmcleod

24 and married ? :shock: you are a trooper lol. I've always loved supra since i was a kid its my number 1 car and i got my first one 2 months ago and had an endless amount of problems but im going to build it up slowly. as for your insurance there is a way around it :) for instance insure a small run around yourself like a corsa or whatever then get insurance to drive any car and insure the supra on someone elses name, im sure someone will let you if you pay it :)

i pay £140 a month for my insurance (21 years old 11 points 1 ban 0 NCB) and the supra in my dads name £50 and it insures me to drive it.. better than paying over £7000 for just the supra :p

welcome to the site

i never had my first supra till i was 25,i started life of with a saxo (:rolleyes:) 1.1i

but was in love with the supra

so i saw a supra n/a manaul on ebay and started to watch it, the supra in question never sold.

So i pmd the guy on ebay to come and have a look and test drive.

Well i got to see the supra and fell in love there and then ,he took it out and floored it and i was like wow,then he pulled over and said it was my turn to drive.

i was so nervous as i had only ever driven a little saxo 1.1, well after driving it and checking the car over i brought i there and then (the supra just needed a alarm )

sad thing was i only went to have a look in my mind not buy it

cost me 4k

i chose the supra 3 liter n/a first, to get used to rear wheel drive and jumping from 60 odd bhp to 225 bhp was a big diffrence.

also to build up my ncd. to cut a long story short i now drive a twin turbo vvti after i had a engine conversion

Edited by wewsupra (see edit history)

Keep looking. Don't stop looking and start again when the money comes around, I was looking for two years while I sorted my finances out, I was looking every day on pistonheads learning about prices. Then when I had the money within 6 months I found a black manual that I was after.

Longer you look more your know when the time comes and it will motivate you staring at these cars!

I have looked into a N/A supra's before with a engine swap in mind but I don't know if I have the skills or the room to do one but I would love to give it a go.I keep looking everyday to see if anything new comes up.I got an insurance quote for a tt supra auto and came back at just over £1900 and N/A was about £200 cheaper to insure.

24 and married ? :shock: you are a trooper lol. I've always loved supra since i was a kid its my number 1 car and i got my first one 2 months ago and had an endless amount of problems but im going to build it up slowly. as for your insurance there is a way around it :) for instance insure a small run around yourself like a corsa or whatever then get insurance to drive any car and insure the supra on someone elses name, im sure someone will let you if you pay it :)

i pay £140 a month for my insurance (21 years old 11 points 1 ban 0 NCB) and the supra in my dads name £50 and it insures me to drive it.. better than paying over £7000 for just the supra :p

So the supra is insured in your dad's name? And you are insured on something else? Therefore enabling you to drive the supra? Does your dad drive the supra on a regular basis or do you drive it more? Are you a named driver on the supra insurance? If not you are only covered 3rd party on the supra. Either way, it sounds a bit fraudulent to me.

I don't think prices will rise significantly for a few years. There's too many of them around to be rare, and they're arguably not as iconic as other fast cars that have appreciated (thinking of Sierra Cosworths and the like). Bide your time, keep looking, get a feel for prices.

Welcome to the club, lurk about on here and do your homework before buying. There are plenty of sticky information threads in here to help.

Also i would buy a car from someone in here before i would go to ebay, there is plenty of rough ones about.

Guest grooney166

Welcome to the forum, I was in the same position as yourself a year or 2 ago so I saved my cash an built my insurance up a bit an now that I'm 25 I'm trying to find my first supra! Good luck for when you decide to buy!