The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, some questions and requested advice from a "noob"

mikeekim89

Hi guys, I've been lurking about on here for a while and I'm looking at buying a Supra.

I've looked at threads and the opinion seems that a UK non-import is better to insure than a import.

I'd like a 6 speed TT hardtop. Ideally stock. I'm not sure how much I should be spending on a stock/minor modded one. I'm 19 and I do have the income/savings to insure it aslong as I'm not paying something like 10k! I have 2 years NCD and live in a low risk area too.

I'm also wondering what exactly makes a 2JZ into a 2JZ. I've not been able to find any answers online though. Any advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen quite a few Autos for sale for around £2,500-£3,500 with good mileage. I can't decide how much more I should pay for a manual.

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the club.

I suggest you do lots more research, the UK's only came in twin turbo form, with all extras so they pull big money around 7-9k for auto 11-15 for a 6 speed.

The 2.5- 3k ones you are seeing will be NA imports and will cost to insure. Especially at your age, Im not saying its not possible but do lots of research I insured my na 5 speed at 20 and got a fair deal but had no claims from 17 so that helped.

If you are looking for a UK TT6 you are going to need 10 thousand minimum.

As for what makes a 2jz a 2jz I'm not sure what you mean, its the name of the engine. Two differences being the 2jz GE is non turbo and the 2jz gte is turbo;d

Hope this helps.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

As above really , as Jake said, you won't get a UK Spec thats decent for under £5k and a UK Spec TT6 is a rare beast indeed meaning these are very pricey if you can find one

I might know of a White UK Auto that will be coming onto the market soon:eyebrows:

You will have to be happy to travel to find a decent UK Spec as well and make sure it has good history

Ahh, so would I be better getting a Import then? I'm not set on 6 speed, I thought they were cheaper than 5 to be honest which is why I said it.

I figure my insurance won't be too good but I've got other vehicles I can put in the same company if it'll make a discount. Are there any reccomended insurers besides Sky and CCI?

I'm up for paying insurance of upto 8.5-9k if the price difference of the car worth the insurance saving on a UK/import. I'm currently driving a '00 Mercedes CLK 2.3 Auto Kompressor and paying 4k Fully comp.

Just to give you an idea of UK spec prices here is a few examples, 2x TT6 1x TT auto

CAR 1

CAR 2

CAR 3

Ahh, so would I be better getting a Import then? I'm not set on 6 speed, I thought they were cheaper than 5 to be honest which is why I said it.

Imports are alot more expensive to insure but that's your call, if you can afford it and find a good example go for a UK.

The 6 speed is fitted to all TT manual supra's, The weaker 5 speed is in the NA's

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Thats a hard thing to say as everyones insures differs drastically from the smallest of things.

But assuming you compare a UK TT6 to a J spec TT 6 (RZ or GZ) I would bet the price could be doubled.

Best bet is to ring flux or someone similar and compare the two cars, CCI is a good company but you have to be 21 IIRC and SKY are great but they wouldnt touch me until I turned 22 on my NA.

Guest johnmcleod

get a TT auto for £4000-5000 and convert it to a manual :) cheaper insurance, cheaper that buying a manual TT, and the engine wouldn't have had such a hard life

get a TT auto for £4000-5000 and convert it to a manual :) cheaper insurance, cheaper that buying a manual TT, and the engine wouldn't have had such a hard life

That's not entirely true.

A 6 speed conversion costs around £3k (more if you need a new clutch), if you brought a £5k supra it is very unlikely it will be low mileage mint one which means it might need work doing so you are knocking close to £9k. An being an auto doesnt mean it will NOT have had a hard life.

:)

A 6 speed conversion costs around £3k (more if you need a new clutch), if you brought a £5k supra it is very unlikely it will be low mileage mint one which means it might need work doing so you are knocking close to £9k. An being an auto doesnt mean it will NOT have had a hard life.

i had some guy tell me the other day that he was going to convert his auto to a 6 speed

and my reply was its expensive ,he said 200-330 ???

i then sent him a link of ebay 3k

he was like :swearsign:

Welcome to the club. :)

I'm also wondering what exactly makes a 2JZ into a 2JZ. I've not been able to find any answers online though.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean what's the difference between a non-turbo 2JZ (known as 2JZ-GE) and a twin turbo 2JZ (known as 2JZ-GTE)?

To echo what other people have said about insurance, insurers use complicated algorithms to come up with a premium and unfortunately there's no alternative to getting a few actual quotes.

One thing that makes an import more expensive to insure is that fewer companies will insure it.

If it's modified you'll reduce your options further.

Don't discount the auto until you've driven one, I find it a very engaging drive, definitely not interested in changing for a manual particularly given the price premium.

Good luck with your search.

Mike

welcome mate, and i thought i was young getting mine at 20! got any insurance quotes yet mate? i woulda thought youd struggle to insure a supra at that age unless youve got deep pockets. but im probs wrong. get some pics up if you get one though bud :)

My advice is try an auto before you mock it.

A lot of people on here, myself included, thought a manual supra was the only one to have. There are a lot of advantages to an auto, price being one of them. See if you can get a test drive off someone and then decide.

My advice is try an auto before you mock it.

A lot of people on here, myself included, thought a manual supra was the only one to have. There are a lot of advantages to an auto, price being one of them. See if you can get a test drive off someone and then decide.

This.

I have owned both & can say if I brought another Supra I'd get an auto, it's an amazing box.

Guest johnmcleod

he could fit a 5 speed since he wants a stock engine, ive seen it done before and the guy said it cost him less than £1000 and a automatic engine is going to be less thrashed than a manual with people revving to the redline

he could fit a 5 speed since he wants a stock engine, ive seen it done before and the guy said it cost him less than £1000 and a automatic engine is going to be less thrashed than a manual with people revving to the redline

If that is the case then the OP needs to be aware that he is putting in a gearbox with borrowed time. As they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

The engine has a rev limiter for a reason on both the auto and manual, auto engine could have had as much abuse as a manual.

Guest johnmcleod
If that is the case then the OP needs to be aware that he is putting in a gearbox with borrowed time. As they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

The engine has a rev limiter for a reason on both the auto and manual, auto engine could have had as much abuse as a manual.

I didn't think auto's could redline as much because it usually changes gear about 5-6K revs. Sorry if I'm wrong I've never drove an auto so just going by what I've been told