The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V160 gearbox oil

Razak

I have been looking around in here for a few days and aside from the extremely expensive version of atf fluid that Toyota recommended there doesn't seem to be any real agreement on what oils are best to use on the getrag boxes. Every thread I check says something different and contradictory.

Is there a few good oils to use that are easy to get in the UK? Most of the listed ones don't seem to be around anymore

I have been looking around in here for a few days and aside from the extremely expensive version of atf fluid that Toyota recommended there doesn't seem to be any real agreement on what oils are best to use on the getrag boxes. Every thread I check says something different and contradictory.

Is there a few good oils to use that are easy to get in the UK? Most of the listed ones don't seem to be around anymore

Royal Purple Synchromax seems to be a good alternative. A lot of 6spd owners in the US use it, so far with great results.

Rps... We use this as well as stock it... Do not use the ATF that Toyota recommend... Never know why they switched it over to this!

Think we have 2 bottles in stock... Pm me if interested...

Slightly better MPG and reduced emissions is why they use ATF but a good gear oil such as RPS or motul will do the trick. After I switched to motul that Chris Wilson recommended my box quietened down loads and feels a lot more solid now.