The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just rejoined after long absense: Looking for original radio for 94-96 tt

Guest wgsanbo

Guest wgsanbo

My 94 6-spd, tt supra is just a pleasure car. I installed a Gready exhaust system and custom, 18 in HRE wheels - pristine from front to back with only 37,000 miles. But here's my sad story. About a year ago as I left my garage on the way to work, I noticed that the sound volume of my radio was about half of normal and boosting it to "normal" with the volume control gave the reception heavy static and a distorted signal. After much procrastination I took my car to a reputable radio shop and the diagnosis was "bad radio," have to replace. To cut to the chase, this is my issue: for my needs, I would be more satisfied with an original radio than with an after-market radio. The issue is, how can I locate or obtain a replacement, original/equivalent radio? For example did Toyota use this radio in any of their other 1990s vehicles, like the Lexus? A several-hour search on the internet yesterday led me nowhere. If anybody would have good suggestions, they would probably come from members of the Forum. Sorry for the messy issue but I am attempting the modern version of "The small world theory." Any help woulod be greatly appreciated.

Edited by wgsanbo
Editorial, clarity (see edit history)

Welcome. I assume your FM frequencies are the same as ours, 88-108?

Funny, drove in the States loads of times but never listen to the radio, XFM now and again. (thats their DAB for us English)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?143751-Extreme-Performance

Get in touch with the above guy, he has loads of Supras in stock, and he must have a few UK OEM stereos in stock.

A j-spec unit is the same, but you need a band expander for UK reception

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISCOUNT-FM-import-band-expander-frequency-shifter-/130727769980?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1e6ffb777c

We love pics of US Supras by the way.........

In fact, heres both for sale....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?224318-Garage-Clearout-Stock-and-Aftermarket

Edited by Supranature (see edit history)