The mkiv Supra Owners Club

KnightRacer HID kits

Noz

Looking for some experience with these.I've had problems with HID kits in the past from different sources. I had a few from the group buy when I used to help direct customers, but still had issues and saw alot of people come back with problems, ballast were always going.

Wondering if people have used their warrenty etc just how they felt the quality of the products was.

Going to buy a kit myself, wanted some feedback first.

Not looking for any feedback regarding bodykits, fitment issues or any non-kit related items.

Thanks guys

I used the cheapest Chinese option on ebay and all eight work a treat.

Whatever it say's on the box, that's where they come from. :shrug:

it's not though matey. Ive seen a website sellig different HID packaging, you just order the boxes and put whatever you want inside some of the cheap ebay ones have different packaging with the same supplier with different ranges in price!

only concern is paying more money and getting one of those, or getting a company product and having problems with a warrenty.

I had a set from the original group buy. They had to go back as they didn't work but were replaced no problem.

They lasted 3 years or so untill they got bashed arround in my accident. Then they stopped. But both headlights were destroyed so no real surprise there.

I have a set of Knight Racer HIDS in my car. I had problems until I purchased a HID relay kit and now fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Destroyed through process of HID's? I've found the glue began to melt slightly on my halos'

I think he means he had crash, which destroyed the headlights and thus his HIDs.

Could you expand on the relay kit issue mate

Basically a HID relay is used when there's not enough juice coming through the wiring loom to the headlights to either fire up or keep them running properly. Symptoms maybe that one of both HIDs flicker but don't fire up, they fire up but cut out after a period or a combination of both. The HID relay, which is not very expesensive at all, simply gives the ballast a direct feed from the battery instead of the loom.

I bought my HIDs from KR around the time of their their group buy. Although I just missed out on the GB. I purchased them on 12-28-08.

HID Kit- 6000k - J spec 9005

After about 2 weeks one of the bulbs died. This was on 25-02-08

Joe said to send it back and he exchanged it immediately, no fuss.

Boths ballasts and bulbs are still going strong.

Basically a HID relay is used when there's not enough juice coming through the wiring loom to the headlights to either fire up or keep them running properly. Symptoms maybe that one of both HIDs flicker but don't fire up, they fire up but cut out after a period or a combination of both. The HID relay, which is not very expesensive at all, simply gives the ballast a direct feed from the battery instead of the loom.

I had this issue on my be car. One would often turn off after turning the car on. I'd have to turn them off and back on. But it was fixed by a new battery. And moving the battery from the boot back into the engine bay. these are expensive Phillips hid's

And yes the knightracer hid's broke after the collision. Bulbs and everything looked ok but I guess there was some invisable damage due to the shock or vibration.

The knightracer kit was fine. I'd get them again

- - - Updated - - -

You can choose between the white and blue now IIRC dude ;)

You always could. Mine were white

Guest Budz86

Think I bought a couple of sets from HIDdirect or something. Cheaper than KR and free next day delivery. Never had a problem and got the heat range I wanted too!

I had this issue on my be car. One would often turn off after turning the car on.

Turning the lights on before starting the engine is numpty at the best of times, because is an unnecessary drain on the battery at a time you need a lot of amps to start the engine.

When starting the engine, a voltage drop interrupts the HID ballast, sometimes temporarily, sooner-or-later, terminally.

Start the car then turn the lights on.

The engine will be more willing to start, the battery will last longer and so will the HID's.

Edited by David P (see edit history)