The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what is your opinions on this ebay turbo kit looks excellent for the price!

Supra N_A

I baught a stainless 2 bolt flange to mend my exhaust with last week from eBay.

Turns out its just steel. Stainless isn't magnetic and doesn't rust and I could see rust spots on it already.

I wouldn't trust a kit from eBay tbh

It looks better than most and the pictures look good and honest. But it's an unknown.

You will also get hit with tax etc when it arrives. And shipping won't be cheep. So it won't be the bargain you imagine.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Kit may look good. But will it last? And if and when it fails will it cost you a hefty repair bill???

If you look how Jamie specs his car. And how much abuse it takes that proves that good quality parts are worth it.

if your going to buy cheap, at least buy cheap products from a company people have had experience with. you could pop a turbo and throw all those nasty little bits into your engine and regret more than blowing your snail.

buying he cheapest of the cheap isn't the way forward, there are middle range products onthe market with better history.

speak to jekyl if you want to know more about low cost single kits, he has worked with a fair number of cost products and also can help install them.

if your going to buy cheap, at least buy cheap products from a company people have had experience with. you could pop a turbo and throw all those nasty little bits into your engine and regret more than blowing your snail.

buying he cheapest of the cheap isn't the way forward, there are middle range products onthe market with better history.

speak to jekyl if you want to know more about low cost single kits, he has worked with a fair number of cost products and also can help install them.

what kits do you kno off or recomend? xs? also I would stick the t61 on there

Edited by Supra N_A (see edit history)

ive used XS and not had an issue. there have been some fitment issues in the past, but unless you use 100% manufactures components you could run into this with any product.

a manifold is a manifold, if it cracks weld it, you can buy 10 cheap manifolds for the price of 1 an have it repaired countless times, as long as it flows as good with the same diameter tubing whats the point.

wastegate should be a decent one though, you dont want that going wrong. get a decent intercooler but cheap piping, that kind of concept? savemoney where you can but the parts that matter may cost you. im looking at buying a borg warner 366, doesnt mean a cheaper one would do the job I just want a more premium product next.

i would say the best peice of advice is get the best you can afford and not buy it because it wont dent your wallet, and if you can only afford rubbish it's not worth it. a turbo kit for less than a grand is worrying. XS na-t kits are more than that and they can only make it so cheap by selling a `kit` with lots of bits missing (intercooler is one example).

i know other people that have had lots of miles from XS turbos, but from what ive seen on dyno's they won't spool as good for the same mechanical dimensions (or roughly the same) or as fast.

on the US forum loads of people have used ebay kits for 1000s miles and still going strong hmmmmmmmmm

making around 600bhp

We are only giving our opinion dude... and i still stand by what i think, its a load of cheap crap!

Do it once and do it properly.... buy a whiffbits turbo kit, buy the best engine management, buy the best parts possible, Get the best mapper...... sorted

We are only giving our opinion dude... and i still stand by what i think, its a load of cheap crap!

Do it once and do it properly.... buy a whiffbits turbo kit, buy the best engine management, buy the best parts possible, Get the best mapper...... sorted

You can save as much money as you want but mitchells advice will definitely stand its weight in gold if you have a problem. My boost controller didnt work, then I had a mis-fire. Not always the parts but buy the best you can afford or just save up :)

Imagine if you buy a cheap turbo and it goes majorly wrong. As long as you wouldn't worry about it your fine lol Not the case all the time but always a risk!

If you're looking at cheap as chips single kits, I would suggest that at this time you can't afford to go single (I may be wrong, if so I apologise)

People often spend £6k upwards going single to get to 600bhp. So for less than a grand, I'd kick it to the gutter personally.

I want to go single, but am waiting until my car fund account hits at least 5k (I'm currently at about £100 :()

As the saying goes, buy cheap, buy twice. Or in this case, buy cheap, buy a new engine when the turbo pukes its insides.

Or

Keep an eye on the for sale section! top quality used parts (full single kits) pop up now and then for like £2500 all in sometimes. But obviously if you buy new the prices rocket but imo its always nice to start new and fresh.

Wait for jamie Price to break his beast! i know im after alot of parts :sly:

my car have run with a chep turbo kit since 2007 with about 450hk .. not any issues apart from a little shaft play in the turbo at the end of last year when it was taken off the car..

just sheer luck ? maybe :D but did´t the job

but yes turbo problems and cracked manifolds is a common problem on cheap kits

I used a cast manifold from the states, emusa, was a guy on here selling one and it dodn't sell for ages. Cheap as chips and when I got it the thing was bloody excellent, no cracks, pretty well port matched from the get go and the faces where straight as a die. I wouldn't buy a cheap KIT but I would definately piece something together from trusted sources on ebay. Bits will fail but just replace those bits as you can afford them, it's a learning curve and some people don't want to spend 10-12k straight of the bat.

What kit is that nic?? You made that up from buying parts individually ?

- - - Updated - - -

Are the PHR Street kits not any good as a "Budget" Kit. I'm sure a few on here run them, like Lui?

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/p-4558-phr-street-turbo-kit.aspx - works out at £2366.98 excluding shipping and duties etc.

What turbo is that??

What kit is that nic?? You made that up from buying parts individually ?

The kit in the pic is a Turbonetics one, not mine just a pic to illustrate what is needed, Treadstone also make a cast manifold for the 2JZ which is quite a reasonable price.

On a budget I'd source a cast manifold then piece together a kit with new/used parts.