The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice Needed: Running two sets of headlights

Ross C

Hi guys. A bit of a weird one here.

Is it legal to use a second set of headlights in the foglight position like I have seen on some American and Australian Supras. I have done some searching and believe that it isnt a requirement to have fog lights on the front of a car. I am buying facelift headlights for the car soon and if it is possible then I want to do this.

Any advice on this from anyone with the knowledge would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Edited by Ross C (see edit history)

The fog lights are in the headlight cluster. So I don't know what your asking.

Are you saying you want two dipped beams per cluster?

In which case the projected patern will be off.

Yes, i would like to run 2 sets of dipped beams per cluster using HIDs and utilising the foglight postion to do this. I would just like to know if anyone knows any legal reason that i should not do this. Pic below shows what im looking for, taken from the Supra Dreams video on youtube

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343689876.144435.jpg

I've owned the car for 6 years in a month, I never once realised I could turn on foglights in the front! :blink:

I amaze even myself sometimes with my stupidity. This must be what it feels like all the time to be Chris Bailey :D :D (sorry no offence mate, I'm just trying to fit in with all the cool kids :rlol: )

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)

Driving with the fog lights on is illegal though unless its foggy and i want to have that look of the double headlights all the time when driving. The point of this thread was to find out if it is legal to put in another set of dipped beams and do away with the fogs all together

Driving with the fog lights on is illegal though unless its foggy and i want to have that look of the double headlights all the time when driving. The point of this thread was to find out if it is legal to put in another set of dipped beams and do away with the fogs all together

but then you wouldnt have fog lights :blink:

to be fair no one can tell the differance with the supra headlights and i drive with my fogs on perminant as the normal headlights are not that great on there own

Nice the "turn them on" mod. :p

Why do you want double headlights?

If I were you I would spend the money on a LSD for your car, and not on tarting up your headlights. :)

Its only a small change that I think will add a more aggressive look to the car.

As for the LSD, I am wanting one but dont see the point of buying an auto LSD when im going TT6 in the next few years and will need a manual one. Realistically when am I going to actually need one before then. Im not the kind to be doing donuts in a mcdonalds carpark. I had one bit of fun on the video shoot and failed but how often will an oppertunity come up?

but then you wouldnt have fog lights :blink:

to be fair no one can tell the differance with the supra headlights and i drive with my fogs on perminant as the normal headlights are not that great on there own

As I stated in the first post, after doing some googling I dont think it in necessary to have front fog lights. Some new cars today are sold with them as optional extras. Its only necessary on the rear of the car

As I stated in the first post, after doing some googling I dont think it in necessary to have front fog lights. Some new cars today are sold with them as optional extras. Its only necessary on the rear of the car

yes but why go through all the effort changing it to a head light if thats the case,when you can just turn them on and no one is the wiser, it looks better and you see more win win nice free mod in some peoples veiw

it's illegal due to the direction of the light coming from the fog lights.

the only way your be able to legally run two sets of headlight is to remove the fog light unit, and replace it with another dipped beam lense to ensure the direction of light doesn't dazzle drivers which is why without fog, fog lights are illegal.

i very much doubt without ALOT of time and effort relocation of a dippd beam unit into the fog light area would be easy. i was looking into moving the dipped beam to the fog light area, the space is very tight, the bulb fitment is completely different without custom brackets and alot of buggering about your not looking at an easy modification.

yes but why go through all the effort changing it to a head light if thats the case,when you can just turn them on and no one is the wiser, it looks better and you see more win win nice free mod in some peoples veiw

Because its illegal to use the fogs all the time and i dont want to run the risk of a fine from the coppers. Its not expensive to stick another set if HIDs on. I currently have them in the dipped and full beam postion but still have the fogs as standard because i never use them.

the only way your be able to legally run two sets of headlight is to remove the fog light unit, and replace it with another dipped beam lense to ensure the direction of light doesn't dazzle drivers which is why without fog, fog lights are illegal.

i very much doubt without ALOT of time and effort relocation of a dippd beam unit into the fog light area would be easy. i was looking into moving the dipped beam to the fog light area, the space is very tight, the bulb fitment is completely different without custom brackets and alot of buggering about your not looking at an easy modification.

Thanks for that Noz. I havent looked into it any further than this yet so thats interesting to hear about the fitment but yes I would be doing away with the whole fog unit and lense and replace them to make it perfectly legal if its possible

What the weeman is trying to get over is this

1. is it illegal not to have fog lights at front?

2. can i replace the fog lights with a HID kit, effectively replacing the fogs with better lights?

maybe his explanation was a little off, although i understood it. :D

1. is it illegal not to have fog lights at front? fogs lights on front of the car is not an MOT requirement. only on the rear. To back this up, ou see lots of cars wit fog lights on the front driving about - its common not to have fogs on older cars

2. can i replace the fog lights with a HID kit, effectively replacing the fogs with better lights? yes, its just a different bulb fitment. but its still a fog light and still aiming light in the wrong direction.

The whole fog unit will need to be relaced with a dipped beam unit and mounted into the headlight so it keeps the same level as the current headlight units.

I looke into this, its an awesom job to do, but with the amount of space it will take alot of skill and also keeping the insde of the headlight looking tidy may take some work. Take one apart and have a look. The lense comes out easy you can get a rough idea the work involved with just splitting a light apart.

Remember its the dipped beam unit from the light, not just the glass lense this doesn't direct the light to make it dipped beam the unit behind this makes all the magical light direction happen, don't forget the dipped beam lense is also bigger (glass lense included).

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

I suppose it depends on the MOT tester. Most coppers wouldn't notice the difference. I drove my NA with the fogs on all the time as the lights were dull at best.

In the TT I have HID's in both the fog light and the main beam. The problem you may have is getting HID's into the fog light section of the light. You would have to drill a hole on the cap at the back of the light and then re-seal it.

I have a HID kit here if you really want it.

I have just replaced these with standard frog light bulbs in order to get the caps back in they were what was causing condensation in the lights.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

Its only a small change that I think will add a more aggressive look to the car.

As for the LSD, I am wanting one but dont see the point of buying an auto LSD when im going TT6 in the next few years and will need a manual one. Realistically when am I going to actually need one before then. Im not the kind to be doing donuts in a mcdonalds carpark. I had one bit of fun on the video shoot and failed but how often will an oppertunity come up?

Not going to get into this right now but an LSD will improve fast road driving and will allow you to put the power down sooner and harder with more predictable results. It's not just for doing do-nuts. Plenty of FWD cars come with LSD's. Also why will you need a Manual LSD when you go TT6, all the diffs can be made to work no matter the configuration.

Anyway, just trying to give some advise. Best idea would be to take the money you were going to spend on this headlight modification and put it in a jar marked "TT6" :D

But in case you want to give it a go anyway: Cheap headlights.

Edited by st3ven1
Added link. (see edit history)

Not going to get into this right now but an LSD will improve fast road driving and will allow you to put the power down sooner and harder with more predictable results. It's not just for doing do-nuts. Plenty of FWD cars come with LSD's. Also why will you need a Manual LSD when you go TT6, all the diffs can be made to work no matter the configuration.

Anyway, just trying to give some advise. Best idea would be to take the money you were going to spend on this headlight modification and put it in a jar marked "TT6" :D

But in case you want to give it a go anyway: Cheap headlights.

The jar marked TT6 is sitting in my driveway next to the Supra. I'll be selling it and using all the money for the conversion.

I know an LSD will improve the car but i just saunter arount in it anyway and dont usually get much of a chance to drivi it in anger. I did not know that about the fitment of diffs though. Its certainly made me think. Thanks mate.

Havard and Noz thanks guys. If its a tricky job I may wait until I have the facelifts fitted and then experiment with the jspecs comming off it.