The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Increasing boost ?

thedirtycat

I am planning on going full bpu. At the moment i have both cats removed. Thats how I got the car but its only boosting as high as 0.8 bar with the restrictor ring. Now I went to Keron recently and he said that 1.2 bar was pushing it a bit and I agree that it seems I little risky as thats the max that people are running on the standard turbos.

How much differnence is there in acceleration with increased boost ? Keron reccomended 1 bar max boost and I was thinking 1.1 bar maybe.

Is it worth increasing it and are the extra parts easy to fit ? (fuel pump, FCD and boost contoller).

Going BPU does transfer the supra. You be alot more happier :)

Acceleration is more noticeable especially when the second turbo kicks in.

On the parts, are they easy to fit? well it depends on the level of mechanic or knowledge you know.

I did some of the BPU add on myself and some was actually done by Keron.

But if it is speed you are after, and whats its worth 100% go BPU

I'm sure there are how to guides on everything needed to go BPU on here somewhere. FCD is a couple of wires into the ECU plug iirc, fuel pump is easy enough, even for someone with little mechanical knowledge if you follow the guide, and same for boost controller.

You could fit a 1 Bar RR which is still safe enough. I'm running a 0.8 Bar RR at the moment because I only have a w58 box. When I get an R154 or getrag, I'll be upping the boost to 1 Bar with a RR and 1.1 Bar with a BC.

Do not get a 1.2 Bar RR though. Too much chance of boost spiking/boost creep, which will seriously shorten the life of your turbos.

I think the best set up for BPU is a 1 Bar RR with a boost controller set to 1.1/1.2 Bar.

Guest Budz86

Well worth going BPU as most will say! Parts shouldn't be too difficult, there are guides all over the forum for it. As listy said, use the boost controller to 1.1 and get a 1 bar RR

The difference between 0.8bar and 1.2bar is significant the car really comes to life, saying that before increasing the boost pressure I'd make sure the engine, turbos, intercooler, rad, etc. are all in good working order.

If you have both cats removed and are only boosting to 0.8bar then the car has probably already got a restrictor ring fitted, increasing the diameter of the hole in RR should reduce the exhaust restriction and consequently increase the boost pressure.

Click -> BPU for more information.

The difference between 0.8bar and 1.2bar is significant the car really comes to life, saying that before increasing the boost pressure I'd make sure the engine, turbos, intercooler, rad, etc. are all in good working order.

If you have both cats removed and are only boosting to 0.8bar then the car has probably already got a restrictor ring fitted, increasing the diameter of the hole in RR should reduce the exhaust restriction and consequently increase the boost pressure.

Click -> BPU for more information.

Yep Jurgen fitted a restrictor ring in the car. You say to check the engine, turbos and radiator are all good but how exactly do you check to see the condition of them or with something like the turbos do you have to take them apart to see if they are ok and who would be able to check for me as I have no idea how to.

Guest Budz86

You're right, not much in terms of BHP but the acceleration is just so much more savage! Deffo puts a smile on the face! If I take people out in the car now for the first time I set the boost to stock and they are usually saying 'wow, that's quick!' Then I turn it up to 1.2 bar and they usually swear a few times or tell me to slow down! Lol

You're right, not much in terms of BHP but the acceleration is just so much more savage! Deffo puts a smile on the face! If I take people out in the car now for the first time I set the boost to stock and they are usually saying 'wow, that's quick!' Then I turn it up to 1.2 bar and they usually swear a few times or tell me to slow down! Lol

Sounds great. i guess going from 0.8 bar to 1.2 bar is a 50% increase in boost which is a lot really. The acceleration on mine feels very smooth at the moment.

I was pushing 1.4 bar through my euro-spec turbos when I was BPU. The difference was immense.

I would love to raise it to 1.2 bar but it sounds unreliable from what ive heard recently. I always thought full bpu was really reliable still but i saw it another thread a lot of people saying the turbos failed after about 5000 miles which isnt many.

ive had my j spec running at 1.25 for some time but dropped it back down to 1.2 has been like it for months now.

always been told thats the safe limit anyway

Yea, i always heard that was the most boost to safely run but some people seem to think 1 bar is probably the safe limit on old turbos. Thats why it would be good to find out what condition mine are in first maybe. some people say theres have lastex years on 1.2 bar but how much would it cost for new turbos ?