The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Old ICV's

David P

The day of reckoning for my Eaton M112 supercharger conversion was grounded by the death of one of these things. :(

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3455260&viewfull=1#post3455260

After the event, there have been several;

"You shouldn't have used one of those, the plastic tit's are old and brittle and well past their life expectancy!" comments. :shrug:

I have posted this up here so my Supracharger thread doesn't get drawn off of topic, as almost all of us are driving around with one of these time bombs under the bonnet.

N/A's have an open hole under the ICV and T.T;s have a one way valve.

I have also discovered there have been ICV break-ups that have passed this one-way valve and trashed T.T. engines.

I'm not sure how much a new one is, lottery numbers have been mentioned, but far less than a replacement T.T. engine for sure.

This is a heads-up for the Club/Members to enquire re. a huge Club Buy, or to adopt a modification using an ICV from a donor vehicle.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Using a different IACV is trivial on engines with a proper mappable ecu, but difficult to impossible on ones that retain the stock ecu as the valves vary so much in air flow V step size.

Sadly it's things like this that make old cars uneconmic to maintain unless you have a desperate love for them. On a track car you could do without an IACV at all, just warm it up sat in the car and set a slightly faster than stock tickover.

It could be pressure wave pulsations from the SC were not liked by the design of the stock valve and even a new one might fail.