The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm a very lucky boy, again

hogmaw

Nice day today wasn't it, and I was off to Whifbitz for some servicing work. So off I went down the M40 as usual, and for some reason I thought I'd stay at 80mph all the way instead of the usual 80, 90... etc etc.

So despite some nice stretches of open road I kept cruising at that speed, and after 10 mins a black Vectra followed by an X5 came up right behind me. There was traffic in front so I couldn't have gone faster if I wanted to, but the Vectra was by now right up my tailpipe. This really gets on my t1ts, but this time instead of touching the brakes I didn't bother, and when the cars in front moved out of the way, instead of switching O/D off and flooring it I just moved to the inside lane.

So the Vectra zoomed past me, as did the X5, and I thought nothing of it.

Until about 2 mins later when the Vectra, which was an unmarked police car, had blue lights all over it and had pulled in the X5 to the hard shoulder.

I am so, so lucky. These kind of things always happen. Every now and then I take it easy and slow down, and plod is just around the corner. Whenever I'm going for it WOT, he is nowhere to be seen.

It makes me Laugh how the police think this is a sensible way to catch speeders!

I mean how on earth can they justify staying on someones tailpipe just to catch them speeding? If anything thats more dangerous than speeding, if the car in front needs to brake then sure as hell the copper wouldve gone right up the rear end of the car he's trying to 'provoke'!

Police don't try to provoke people into comitting offences, people do it anyway. I don't know why he would of got up his tail pipe, but he would of had a reason.

Your right dude, staying chilled always wins, its nice having that feeling that you did the right thing and some shmuck got stuck on!

Do the lotto u might be lucky again.

I don't have anything against plod, but goading people into speeding isn't on, happened to me when I was WAY younger, after a blat unmarkd cavalier, blues n.towo'd me in a Capri, he let me off though. :)

And the priceless one, plod gets caught doing silly speeds on some M road, goes to court, and pleads he was testing the unmarked vehicle at speed, then gets off.!!

Police don't try to provoke people into comitting offences, people do it anyway. I don't know why he would of got up his tail pipe, but he would of had a reason.

Your right dude, staying chilled always wins, its nice having that feeling that you did the right thing and some shmuck got stuck on!

I could be wrong but it did seem like he was trying to provoke me into going fast, it's been known to happen. Any other day I may well have floored it, but lucky for me this was the day I didn't, and the X5 got done instead.

Looking back I think there may have been something in the back of my mind telling me that 1) a Vectra is often an unmarked police car and 2) even if it wasn't it's only a Vectra - what am I trying to prove?

Do you think anything could have happened if Hogmaw had a rear view camera in the car and had the "tailgating" captured on camera? Would it be appropriate to take a copy of the footage to his local police station?

Yeh okay :rolleyes: and i can't think of any reason an unmarked patrol car could benefit from driving dangerously other than to provoke another driver.

Pretty poor really seeing as the police are supposed to looking after us etc

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I think people tend to have an idealised view of most professional behaviour these days. From politicians right down to traffic police there are daily examples of unprofessional through to totally corrupt behaviour. Have you read the statistics on the number of policemen actually sacked in the last ten years? :)

Police don't try to provoke people into comitting offences, people do it anyway. !

but if this was a marked car no one would of been speeding away they would see the car and NOT speed in the slightest, so to say they are not provoking people is fair but, using a unmarked car they are not stopping crime they are just catching the people that would speed.

i believe that if every traffic police car was marked there would be less crime on the roads, but i do understand the flip side that if they had unmarked cars they can catch unsuspecting people/criminals but this should be real crimes and undercover stuff IMO.