The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single and Stock Bonnet vs Vented

chazuk

I love the look of the stock bonnet but in this heat and once Ive done some hard pulls its seriously cooking under there , I sold my vented bonnet before getting the car sprayed but I am seriously thinking about a top secret style or abflug bonnet , or another stock one but vented can anyone tell me am I ; worrying to much about the heat it will be fine , fitting a vented bonnet could make matters worse as to air flow design I use the stock viscous setup , what is the best bonnet for cooling has anyone done any before and after under bonnet temps using vented and stock ?.

A poor quality, worn or blocked radiator can cause high coolant temps in hot weather, I had to replace my Fluidyne rad as it couldn't cope, the replacement Power Enterprise radiator significantly reduced coolant temps.

A poor quality, worn or blocked radiator can cause high coolant temps in hot weather, I had to replace my Fluidyne rad as it couldn't cope, the replacement Power Enterprise radiator significantly reduced coolant temps.

I am suprised mate thought Fluidyne were meant to be pretty good . I am thinking about in the winter when I get time moving my oil cooler to the side vent duct it etc as at the moment its inbetween rad and intercooler

I am suprised mate thought Fluidyne were meant to be pretty good . I am thinking about in the winter when I get time moving my oil cooler to the side vent duct it etc as at the moment its inbetween rad and intercooler

Never rated the Fluidyne, it was a poor fit and come the hot weather temps started to get a little high, the Power Enterprise rad is much better quality, uses a much thicker core and coolant temps were quite a bit lower, they're not cheap though.

Coolant seems a bit hot. From what I was told for mine, and recently when talking to LeeP, over 100 is starting to get too hot, and 110 is definitely too hot.

Agreed, mine was running around 110C on hot days with the Fluidyne rad, temps dropped to below 90C once the PE rad was fitted.

I've a vented bonnet. I always look at stock bonnets and wonder did I make the right choice. I spose as men we do that with women also.

Thing to learn here, vented bonnet's have holes, these holes cause problems and corrosion through the winter months without proper covers (never seen many fibreglass bonnets come with these or carbon thinking of it), do you really need the hassle.

The right setup has never required holes in the bonnet, headlights or even bumper or cold air feed. If it's a toss up, I'd stay stock bonnet.

Coolant seems a bit hot. From what I was told for mine, and recently when talking to LeeP, over 100 is starting to get too hot, and 110 is definitely too hot.

That was peak I think on the move it was 90-94 , what rad are you using and are you on fans or stock viscous ?

Agreed, mine was running around 110C on hot days with the Fluidyne rad, temps dropped to below 90C once the PE rad was fitted.

How much was the PE rad mate out of interest ?

I've a vented bonnet. I always look at stock bonnets and wonder did I make the right choice. I spose as men we do that with women also.

Thing to learn here, vented bonnet's have holes, these holes cause problems and corrosion through the winter months without proper covers (never seen many fibreglass bonnets come with these or carbon thinking of it), do you really need the hassle.

The right setup has never required holes in the bonnet, headlights or even bumper or cold air feed. If it's a toss up, I'd stay stock bonnet.

Yea that's why I stuck with stock bonnet , think I am going to have a move around think I read somewhere cooler oil temp cooler the water so defiantly should get that oil cooler moved , and maybe go with twin electric fans and ditch the stock viscous

That was peak I think on the move it was 90-94 , what rad are you using and are you on fans or stock viscous ?

I have a PWR radiator, and twin electric fans (although only one is hooked up!).

For what it's worth, the reason my workshop recommended the electric fans was due to the potentially worn-out clutch fan. Otherwise, it pushes PLENTY of air, and is sufficient for all but the most dedicate drag cars.