The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant bleeding... Again :(

RobD

Recently done a head gasket on a mates TT Auto, but cannot get the thing to bleed up properly!

It's had the following changed

Radiator

Radiator cap

Head gasket

Water pump

Thermostat

I've removed the pipes from the heater matrix and tried to back feed, had a funnel in the rad to raise the coolant level higher than the heater matrix pipes, jack the car up so it was basically vertical, but STILL it won't bleed up!!

Any suggestions? My next step I guess would be trying a bleed valve on the heater matrix pipes, but I would've thought back filling wouldve been enough?!

Guest Supradrifting

Buy a vacum refiller. It will suck vacum in your system and when you open the handle it will fill the whole system up and raplace the vacum with coolant, no air there anymore. :) Its always good to have one laying around when you`re working on cars. And its universal so It works on all cars.

Like this one maybe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiatior-Coolant-Vacuum-Pressure-Refill-Refiller-Leak-Tester-Test-Kit-/230731517592?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item35b8ab8e98&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_925

Edited by Supradrifting (see edit history)

Guest Supradrifting

Ok, sounds strange! :) I have never had any problems with that. And I use it at daily basis at my work. When the system has vacum have you looked at the gauge that its not loosing vacum for about 30 sec or something?

Stupid question but you did do the obvious and block the pipe to the overflow right? If you didn't it will of sucked all the air right back in.

Are you reading any of the previous posts? :D Our vacuum bleeder slides into the rad where the rad cap plunger sits, it blocks it off automatically!

Yes I am reading correctly. My bleeder does the same but if you don't crimp the pipe it still allows a small amount of air in when you open the valve to fill hence why once its vacuumed down you should leave it for a minute to make sure it is holding pressure instead of filling immediately!

Im just trying to help sausage as I also do not ever have an issue with my vac tool and seems strange that you're struggling.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

This'll be the first time ive struggled with it! :(

So I guess where talking about a major air lock in the system? I can't get my mates supra in at work now as I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks, should I just get him to get a purge valve fitted to the heater matrix pipes, will that solve this?