The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing Brake Pads on A J-Spec

Ross C

Hopefully this serves as a guide on how to change your brake pads. Myself, Geo and Ian W done this today on my NA and it was very simple to do so you can save yourself some money and do it yourself. The job can easily be done on your own.

The pads I bought were standard pads from Toyota which cost around £100.

Tools required:

Jack

Socket wrench with 14mm socket

Axle Stands

Brake Cleaner

Rag/ Kitchen towels

New Pads

Copper Grease

G-Clamp

Firstly get the car up onto the jack and remove the wheel (we started with the front right). Put the axel stand under one of the wishbones to act as a safety incase the jack fails.

Once the wheel is off turn the steering wheel so that the back of the caliper is facing out. Use the wrench to take off the two bolts below:

Remove the caliper but be careful not to pull off the hose. Wrap the bungie cord around it and hook it onto the spring on the suspension to hold it up out of the way.

Next gentley pull off the clips and rest them on the ground so you know which one is top and bottom.

Then remove the the pads:

To do this pull the clips at the side of the pad and slide one end out before the other. Give the rest of the caliper a good spray with the brake cleaner and a rub down with the rag or kitchen towel.

Also note that on the back of each old pad, shims should be removed and cleaned as above with spray and a rag. Once cleaned put onto the new pads in the same position as they were on the old ones. They may need some slight bending to make them hold tight.

Before putting the new pads on, give each end a pea sized amount of copper grease:

Then put the pads back in the reverse way of how the old ones came out:

Now open the bonnet and remove the brake fluid cap. (This is where it helps to have someone with you).

Take the top of the calliper and using the G-Clamp and use one of the old pads as a flat surface against the pistons. Press the pistons back slowly into the recess. This needs to be done slowly as the brake fluid level will rise and possibly spill out of the top so having someone with you to watch this and mop up any spillage as it happens is very helpful.

Once the piston is recessed far enough, remove the G-Clamp and smear some copper grease on the inside of the calliper as shown:

Then finish up by putting the calliper back on and before putting in the bolts smear some copper grease on them.

Make sure the bolts are tight but not uber-tight.

Put the cap back on the brake fluid (top up if you have lost any fluid) and start the engine. Give the brake pedal a good pumping(no sniggering please, Tony TT i'm looking at you) to ensure pressure is returned.

Thats the front(s) covered.

The rears are much easier and done in the same way so here are just some pics of the removal process:

I hope this guide is helpful and makes people enjoy doing some important work on their own car.

Ross

Edited by Ross C (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Just used this guide to replace my pads on the front, excellent write up along with pics :thumbs:

Quick question, the clips that go into the pads (pics 5 & 6) where's the best place to pick these up and does it matter if they're not on the car? As you can guess, mine are missing. Also on the back of the pads, there's a black metal thing and then covering that, a silver cover that the pistons push against, my black "things" are rusting and falling apart, again best place to get these from? TIA :)

Just used this guide to replace my pads on the front, excellent write up along with pics :thumbs:

Quick question, the clips that go into the pads (pics 5 & 6) where's the best place to pick these up and does it matter if they're not on the car? As you can guess, mine are missing. Also on the back of the pads, there's a black metal thing and then covering that, a silver cover that the pistons push against, my black "things" are rusting and falling apart, again best place to get these from? TIA :)

I always go to Toyota for my bits and pieces. Part numbers can be difficult to find out but if you can describe the parts exactly, the services lads should be able to find them on the system.

Ross

Guest Budz86

The clips are the caliper spring clips and the pieces of metal are the anti-squeal shims :) Keron at Extreme Performance or Paul at Whifbitz will probably have them in stock, but if not, phone Toyota. Think they will have to order them in though

• 11 months later...