The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra in the Winter

GeordieSteve

It sounds like you lot have been more successful at driving in snow than I have!

At the beginning of this year, there was less than an inch of snow on the ground and I couldn't get off my driveway.

Another time I parked in a field. The grass was dry but I parked on a very slight incline. End result - completely churned up the grass and had to round up a load of people to push me out.

Not only that, but I even managed to get stuck in a gravel driveway :stupid: and that's with standard 17" tyres.

So my supe will stay safely on the drive when it snows :)

James.

It's fine until it snows and then you have to be very, very carefull.

Frosty mornings are a great laugh :D

I'd throw on a set of old 17"s for no other reason than nice wheels are an absolute b*stard to keep clean with all the salt and crap that's on the roads...

I remember the day with my old UK Supra when it literally slid sideways down the road all by itself after switching the engine on...the vibration of the car itself at high revs was moving it sideways towards a builders van

Luckily my next door neighbour 'big Jamaican dude called George' came to the rescue and dragged it back by the spoiler, like it was a pram he he.

If you got the facelift Supra its got a 'Snow mode' on the traction control.

:innocent:

It almost never snows down here but the only time it did in the last three years I was on the motorway in the Supe. It was fine, just keep it off 2nd turbo :eek:

The only problem I had was getting it moving again if I had to stop on a slight incline. Every time I tried to pull away the car refused to go forward at all but went sideways instead. This is a bit worrying when you are on a dual carriiageway with other cars next to you. I presume the sideways sliding would be due to the lack of a LSD.

Originally posted by Green Peace

Luckily my next door neighbour 'big Jamaican dude called George' came to the rescue and dragged it back by the spoiler, like it was a pram he he.

Convenient, lol!

I dont think i'll bother taking her out when it's icy/snowy - I don't need to go anywhere as I work from home. If I do, I guess the warrior with the 4wd set to 'snow' should do the trick!

Originally posted by Jay

Convenient, lol!

I dont think i'll bother taking her out when it's icy/snowy - I don't need to go anywhere as I work from home. If I do, I guess the warrior with the 4wd set to 'snow' should do the trick!

rich sod! :p

Tried to drive in the snow, but turned around a mile down the road. It may have been OK, but I wasnt gonna chance it.

Not worth getting another car for the handful of snowey mornings, in my case.

Actually if I had the space, I would definately get a cheap fwd hatch, for the various tasks which the supra is not ideal for.

I run stock UK rims and F1 rubber in the winter. The only problem I had last winter was getting home the night the whole of the south ground to a halt. It took me 45 minutes to get out of my car park after work, and had real fun getting going on a inclined junction on to a main road. Once a few sensible drivers realised that I was try to move with the wheels spinning they stopped the other traffic and I span my way side ways on the the snow tracks on the main road. From there on it was 10mph all the way home there was no way I was going to stop again until I got home. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Originally posted by Grazer

Winter in Scotland lasts from October (ice this morning) to about May. Like any other driving conditions you get used to how to drive in it pretty quickly. The only hard bit is having to resist the temptation to drive like you do in the summer :p

Sounds a lot like the winter here in Norway :D

Do you guys use 'winter tires' at all?

@lpher