The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a single disc clutch

hodge

Hi guys

I'm changing my setup on the car to make it a little more civilized and usable.

Could you recommend me a single disc clutch that will take my cars power.

It must be a single plate as I hate the plate chatter of multiplate clutches and definately no rattles so lightened flywheels are out also.

I found this:-

http://www.suprastore.com/rpsstagiiisp.html

Which is the same clutch Johnny.G had in his car when I did his big twin conversion. It was a little heavier than mine but I think I could deal with that.

They are bosting they can hold 800whp, which is enough for my power levels. What's your opinions on them and had anyone maxed 1 of there clutches out.

Thanks

John

Hi guys

It must be a single plate as I hate the plate chatter of multiplate clutches and definately no rattles so lightened flywheels are out also.

Which is the same clutch Johnny.G had in his car when I did his big twin conversion. It was a little heavier than mine but I think I could deal with that.

They are bosting they can hold 800whp, which is enough for my power levels. What's your opinions on them and had anyone maxed 1 of there clutches out.

Thanks

John

I remember Johnny's clutch being almost close to stock feel!! Sorry I can not help on the decision.

Well this is what happend to my RPS leafspringed clutch that i had in my MK3 Supra.

i also thought id share my thoughts on these clutchtypes.

Due to the large diameter and the way they are designed with leafsprings they dont really like high rpm (above 7k. i reved closed to 8k) aswell as they weigh quite abit (even tho they are probebly alot lighter then the one i used for my MK3) high rpm and big diameter increase the velocity of the leafsprings so when hitting the RPM limiter they tend to go boom. another note is that since its (again) large diameter combined with a stiff spring (there are no shortcuts, single disc=higher clamp load) it will wear the thrustwashers of the crank alot more then a dual disc clutch etc. Honestly i only see you doing a downgrade clutchwise to change from your ORC multiplate to a single plate.

another note is that sinter pucks tend to chew more on the flywheel aswell (oposed to an organic clutch disc)

Just my thoughts and i did kill 1, almost brand new RPS 3200LB clutch and 1 brand new ACT extreme clutch (destroyed this one in under 10min lol) around 600bhp at around 8k rpm before i adapted a tilton clutch to my system. (3 disc)

I have the TRD single disc on my BPU, drives the same as stock, just a slight bit heavier...

I have no idea on what power it can hold, I asked on here a few times, no one seems to have had any experience with it.

I also hate the rattle of multiplate clutches, I was considering trying the Exedy Carbon D, it seems to be designed with lowest chatter as a key feature...

Surely you will melt a single plate clutch with 900+f HP in a few minutes?

Dane may have come up with the answer. I'll keep you all posted.

Lower your power !!!

Lol :D

Come on Michel, we both know that's not going to happen. Civilized, yes, slower, no ;)

Hi guys

Thanks

John

That's exactly the same I have. Very stock like John.