The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rod/piston balancing prices

hodge

if your engine is fully stripped your best of getting crank - flywheel - front pully - rods - pistons - and clutch cover.

Both times ive had my stock units done and they take alot off and it makes a massive difference and makes the whole engine so much smoother.

I pay £150 for all that to be done but have to drop it off and collect.

I'm doing a built engine, forged pistons and rods etc.

I don't have and scales accurate enough or a rod jig either. The scales themselves cost a fortune and I don't want to buy some for the same of 6 rods and pistons. I'm probably going to be revving to 8500 so I want everything perfectly balanced.

Well when I had my set of JE pistons and BC rods the most weight difference between the heaviest and lightest combo was something stupid like .18 of a gram. Im pretty sure this will not effect an engine reving to 10k rpm let alone 8.5k. Your best bet is getting the crank balanced and matching the pistons and rods as best as you canto give an even weight over all 6.

Well when I had my set of JE pistons and BC rods the most weight difference between the heaviest and lightest combo was something stupid like .18 of a gram. Im pretty sure this will not effect an engine reving to 10k rpm let alone 8.5k. Your best bet is getting the crank balanced and matching the pistons and rods as best as you canto give an even weight over all 6.

Well if I'm going to do it. I want to be totally anal with everything.

when you buy the forged pistons and rods , they are balanced aready .Providing you buy a complete set from the manufacture they have been balanced in total. My brother did a fatel mistake when he just replaced one rod from his engine, the crank cracked because of the misbalance with the other 3 rods.

As Michael says. My Manley H beams and Mahle pistons were all balanced by the manufacturer with details of the balancing in the box.

I just got the crank and clutch parts balanced. My Titan/ATI pulley did not require balancing as it also comes zero balanced and explicitly says not to.

I can do the rods and pistons for £65 plus return carriage and VAT.

I farm out crank, damper and flywheel / clutch balancing, to the best dynamic balancers in the UK, bar none.

Once I collect all my parts Chris I'll give you a call mate. Could you give me an idea on price for a crank/clutch balancing please.