The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing License Plate Bulbs

johnny g

I'm trying to remove my license plate bulbs here - and not getting very far.

I've removed the 4 screws, two either side - and the holders are not dropping. I've tried pulling them with the end of the screw driver - no joy. I'm using a Trial rear bumper, which has a small piece bridging the two bulb holders - surely that's not holding them in, is it?

Got the LED's, got the screws out - just can't get the sodding bulbs out.

Hints or ideas welcome!

The holders themselves shouldnt drop out dude, but the clear lenses over them should (once screws are removed)

(pretty sure the 2 lights are part of the same single unit, which sits across the top of the "bridge" from the inside of the bumper - i think..).

I have a trial bumper as well and the lenses can be a bit fiddly to get out (due to most the time the mold not being quite square around the licence plate lights) however usually with a bit of fiddling you shoudl be able to get the lenses to come out (1 each side) then can replce the bulbs.

b;3448326']The holders themselves shouldnt drop out dude, but the clear lenses over them should (once screws are removed)

(pretty sure the 2 lights are part of the same single unit, which sits across the top of the "bridge" from the inside of the bumper - i think..).

I have a trial bumper as well and the lenses can be a bit fiddly to get out (due to most the time the mold not being quite square around the licence plate lights) however usually with a bit of fiddling you shoudl be able to get the lenses to come out (1 each side) then can replce the bulbs.

I took ages trying to carefully pry mine off when i went to put the LEDs in. Just need patience and care

As above mate, just the clear lenses come out, mine were pretty stuck together and just took some gentle prying with a small screw driver

Well I got to the bottom of it. The holes in the Knight Racer Trial bumper are too small to let the glass through.

Have to find another way me thinks!!

Piece of heavy grit sandpaper on your finger you should be able to sand back the lip that is in the way in a pretty short amount of time.

Fiberglass tends to be pretty easy to sand back with heavy grit paper.

If its a knight racer trial rear then the number plate light unit itself is probably fiberglassed into position on the inside of the bumper as I don't think they come with 'like oem' mounting points on the inside.. :( so getting the whole unit out from say the top is even more of a pain than the 'make holes bigger' approach.