The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Feel a bit weary :/

hazza

Had my supra a few weeks now,

I have always owned manual cars untill now, the lovely British summer weather atm is dreadful,

I feel a bit weary when I go round a roundabout or a bend in the wet, I get a slight slip at times,

I know it's complete different going from fwd to rwd,

Also I don't believe it has traction and abs? Correct me I am wrong?

If it was a manual u can change down gear and slow the engine down better but with an auto it's bloody hard, I know you guys may say "get use to it or slow down more" but I do lol

Maybe it's just me and I have to get used to slowing down more a lot more ?

Also how does the manual mode work I click the button for it but how do I change it lol?

What do you guys think and feel about it?

I'm really considering manual convo, but on the other hand I love having the power there and not having to change gear all the time :)

Also I'm thinking of doing a na to na-t and if I do, and feel abit weary atm I can't imagine how I would with a turbo on it!! I won't be doing a massive huge spec build il probably go for one similar to pjavon

It seem a lot of people on here have stuck with the auto box too?- reasons?

Would like to hear your advice and points on the matter

I nearly binned mine coming off a roundabout, It was wet and I was most likely too keen with my right foot, Manual is more fun in my eyes but just as dangerous if you are not used to rwd but like anything treat it with a bit of respect even if it is just a NA.

Yh man I make you right there!

It means one of two things then...

1. You are approaching\turning in too quickly for the conditions or limitation of the tyres.

2. The wheel alignments are out and you need a full Geo setup to correct them.

I had a auto TT previously and that was no bother whether even when I got caught out in heavy rain fall. When I first got it though it was skittish in the wet and that was mainly down to the rear tyres and geo. Once they both got done it was nice and solid, things improved more when it was at WIM (Wheels In Motion) and Tony done his magic, the grip was brilliant.

Suspension, geometry, tyres and differential make a huge difference to grip levels in the wet and when cornering, the difference between a well setup Supra and one on tired suspension, poor quality tyres and wrong geo setup is massive. A manual conversion would cost you £K's and will make no difference to the handling/grip levels of the car, my advice would be to spend the money instead on a good quality set of tyres, a suspension check/overhaul and geometry setup.

Something else to consider if new to RWD cars would be to fit Racelogic traction control.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Dont accelerate untill your wheel is central

This is definitely good advice while your getting use to the auto

But as a lot of people have said above, a good geo setup and tyres is essential, I had mine done and it became a different car the grip was in a different league :)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

Also I'm thinking of doing a na to na-t and if I do, and feel abit weary atm I can't imagine how I would with a turbo on it!!

If you don't have confidence in the handling of the car now then a turbo conversion is the last thing you want to do. What would you rather have, a well setup stock powered Supra that handles and brakes with confidence or some high hp shopping trolley that wants to kill you every time you turn the steering wheel?

LSD or Open Diff? What's your axle code?

Have you considered Racelogic Traction Control (RLTC)?

You do have ABS and limited traction control but they are early systems, not as advanced as your avg car now.

RWD with bags of torque means that you only need to keep a lightly positive throttle on a roundabout, which you steadily increase as you come off it.

Mine went in and out off roundabouts great but that's running proper tyres and setting the car up for the weight transfer, only once i near lost it ,

a75 Scotland early hours off the morning, came into the roundabout committed and the exit road wasn't were it was meant to be meaning I really had to turn in and got myself a massive over steer drift to the left followed by a drift to the right on the exit road, I used all the road but kept the power in it and she pulled it off, thank god there was no one coming the other direction

It never happened again lol I reckon the tyres and suspension being set up properly gave me the control to save it :)