The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Basic under the hood parts upgrade advice

Guest CroneOne

Guest CroneOne

Hello Supra club!

I've just become an owner of a '96 non-turbo Supra and wow these cars are amazing! I am looking to throw some money

into upgrading it with some high quality performance parts.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I'd also like to go into a shop with some knowledge.

I'll ask you a hypothetical question. If you just bought your Supra and it was stock with older basic

components, What would be some of the first things you did to up the performance quality under

the hood? Intake? Spark plugs and wires? Oil filter? Exhaust? Fuel system?

If you have some advice as well as name brands, I'd be greatful to hear it.

Thanks

CroneOne

Tuning for an NA doesnt really exist. Your best direction is to keep it properly serviced ( spark plugs, oil, oil filter, coolant and even O2 sensors) and save for a TT transplant or a TT car in its own right.

Tuning NA's costs too much for such little gain

Oh and also should mention that the best intake for an NA is a stock box with K&N or Blitz panel air filter

Ross is correct - good maintenance/quality parts/renew the ones that are worn after 16years. A full change of oils would be a minimum. The ride and handling is an area you can play with it and I'd recommend Chris Wilson's suspension setup. Search for him...

Guest CroneOne

Thanks guys. Good facts to know. Looks like my best bet is to book her in for a tune up and see if any maintenance parts need replacing. I'll check my air filter too and see if it could use a K&N or Blitz upgrade.

P.s. Just to add to the thread I came across some NA parts at the Supra Store http://www.suprastore.com/supnanon.html

Do you have an opinion about this NA upgrade kit? Worth it?

http://www.suprastore.com/60hpnabpukit.html

Waste of money.

You're not going to make any significant increase in power on the 2JZ-GE. In terms of performance upgrades the only things I'd consider would be an aftermarket tubular manifold, 2nd decat pipe and exhaust, this should give around a 10-15hp increase and make the car feel a little more responsive.

A complete service, all fluids, plugs, filters, distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads, oxygen sensors, belts, tensioners, etc. will give you the best results for your money. I would then look at optimising the braking (upgrade to the larger Supra brakes, good quality pads, SS braided brake lines, fluid, new discs, master cylinder brace, etc.) and handling (tyres, suspension, alignment, etc.)

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest CroneOne

Awesome. Thanks for the tip.

To be honest I'm more interested in the maintenance parts and having all of those in tip top shape anyways. After that, most likely some cosmetic upgrades like new rims, seats etc.

Super fun car to put money into though. Big fan.

Cheers

Waste of money.

You're not going to make any significant increase in power on the 2JZ-GE. In terms of performance upgrades the only things I'd consider would be an aftermarket tubular manifold, 2nd decat pipe and exhaust, this should give around a 10-15hp increase and make the car feel a little more responsive.

A complete service, all fluids, plugs, filters, distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads, oxygen sensors, belts, tensioners, etc. will give you the best results for your money. I would then look at optimising the braking (upgrade to the larger Supra brakes, good quality pads, SS braided brake lines, fluid, new discs, master cylinder brace, etc.) and handling (tyres, suspension, alignment, etc.)

Guest CroneOne

Yes for the power hounds I can see that the TT is the way to go. To be honest though, I was a sucker for the looks on this car and not too concerned about HP. The guy who sold it to me had it parked in the dark (it was night time) and when he pulled up under the light I was like "whaaa" this car is fkn hot. I had to hold back my surprise so I wouldn't blow my negotiating:)

That being said my first idea was to get all of the under the hood components upgraded and see if any HP could be added however it's seems a pretty universal opinion that tuning an NA is pointless.

Anyway, I haven't done my "jpegs for the net" photoshoot yet but it looks a lot like the before pics of this guy's awesome yellow nugget project (without the spoiler)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?270820-The-Nugget-Yellow-Supra&highlight=nugget

I have some chromey aftermarket 5 star rims on it, but I want some gun metal or black rims. Red & black = good compliment to eachother.

This style looks pretty sweet

http://www.rotashop.co.uk/Rota+Torque_c33739_33741_32476.htm

EDIT: these look awesome

http://www.rotawheels.co.nz/stock/78/mxr-18x11-5x114.html

I'd really like to do a dashboard makeover like this guy did. Not sure where to buy those parts (anyone know?) but I like them.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=154589&d=1342082341

I'd like to get some new seats as the current ones are a bit worn. Any advice on seats would be welcome. I'm sure

I can search out the forum for some advice.

Edited by CroneOne (see edit history)

Hello and welcome to the club.

If you are buying upgrades it all depends on your budget. Seats are quite expensive and most aftermarket seats don't come with seats rails so bare that in mind.

You could try and buy a set of second hand supra recaros usually around £400+

About those dash rings i think Noz in the forum might sell them. But it can also be brought from ebay too.