The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wider arches (not to be confused with wide arches)

scorling

When Rob Mitchell fitted my new body kit (from the much maligned Knight Racer) and resprayed the car in October last year, a number of people commented on the thread he ran that I needed to get my arches filled and that the 17" equip wheels weren't up to the job.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154606&stc=1&d=1342111715

Always eager to please, and in the hope I might make a friend, I looked around and bought Jamesys wheels when he broke his car. As evidenced in the photo below, the rear wheel didn't look so good with the standard arch. I had the guys from archenemies look at it and they said they couldn't help, so I did what anyone else would do in the circumstances and bought Blackies BPU Supra on impulse as it looked as if the wider arches would work and I could then sell my own. I loved the way the car drove but the way the wheels sat just didn't do it for me, so that car now lives in Holland and DrifterX tells me he will posting a thread of what he has done with it since he bought it a few weeks ago.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154607&stc=1&d=1342111715

I wanted the arch to flow naturally rather than appear to have been attached to the bodywork, if that makes any sense, so I had a local retired body repair guy have a go at it. I had no idea what was possible so I left the car with him under a gazebo in his garden in the rain and went on holiday. Two weeks later, to my untrained eye the work he has done is excellent, others of you that know better than me may correct me on that. There is virtually no filler involved, just a little to smooth the lines. He has maintained the smoothing work that Rob did when fitting the Ridox skirts and Trial rear bumper and I think the 18" 315 wide tyres look pretty good.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154608&stc=1&d=1342111715

attachment.php?attachmentid=154609&stc=1&d=1342111715

He has done a similar job on the front, although the extra width required wasn't so dramatic. I don't expect there is anything here that hasn't been done before, but I am quietly pleased with my decision to have this done.

A lick of paint now will see it finished.

oldarcholdwheel1.jpg

oldarchnewwheel.jpg

New rear arch.jpg

Newarchnewwheel.jpg

Looks good, so have they just been rolled then ?

I think he had to do more than that because archenemies said they couldn't roll the arch out far enough. i could ask the guy who did it to give a more complete description, but I think he made a steel frame that he welded and riveted to the bodywork to define the outer edge of the arch and then somehow manipulated the arch to that edge. He had to have done it that way to avoid any great use of filler.

That looks to be an amazing job he has done. Would be interested in seeing the results once it has been sprayed

The car is off to Uncle Paul's at Whifbitz for a few days to complete a bunch of stuff including the last of BPU upgrade, then to a paint shop. Hopefully all done by the end of July, and my bank manager can go on holiday.

Then, after three years of owning the car I will be confident to put some pictures up in the garage section of my profile. Too embarrassed to do so before!

The car is off to Uncle Paul's at Whifbitz for a few days to complete a bunch of stuff including the last of BPU upgrade, then to a paint shop. Hopefully all done by the end of July, and my bank manager can go on holiday.

Then, after three years of owning the car I will be confident to put some pictures up in the garage section of my profile. Too embarrassed to do so before!

It does look good. I will be looking to do something like this this with rear arch as my rear wheels poke out about the same as yours, so this would be ideal for me. Could you upload some pics on this thread when you have got it sprayed or pm if you prefer? Really want to see the final results.