The mkiv Supra Owners Club

going auto single, turbo choice advice for the nooby please!!!

grumps2JZ

hey guys after saving my pennys for many months i have finally decided to go single!!! just wondering if anyone has had much experience in single turbing auto supra's? tried to find any relevant threads with no luck. i am aiming for 500whp (ish) as i understand that is about the maximum you can put through the auto box.

any reccomendations about what kind of turbo, exhaust a/r sizes etc etc would be much appreciated thanks guys!!!

was thinking about a garret t67 but thought it might be too big for such a low hp goal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-full-T67-HKS-T04R-Turbo-P-trim-T4-750HP-V-Band-/380099241555?hash=item587fae2653&item=380099241555&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

also found a cheap T70 online but it has a .48 ex housing which seems really small to me...

opinions?

cheers guys :)

Yes, 500rwhp (373rwkw) is really the max limit of the factory auto without modifying it. Also probably not a good idea to drag race it at that power level. It would not be any quicker at the drags then the factory twins due to more lag off the line, unless you get a high stall for it.

A friend went with the Garrett GT3540R (61mm) turbo on his factory auto and it made 320 rwkw (430rwhp) at 22psi. A 67mm T04Z is capable of around 400rwkw on a stockish engine, so it would leave a bit in reserve if you ever wanted more power for a strengthened auto or manual setup.

That turbo comes with whatever exhaust housing you want for it. A 0.70 divided would be best if no high stall.

Check out http://www.mkiv.co.nz and email me if you need more info, as I'm in NZ too.

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

cheers mate, funnily enough a mate of mine was asking me about 30 minutes ago if i had seen the "v8kilr" supra lurking around!!! and here you are!!! yes i was also thinking of the T04Z but thought since it had such a high hp rating it would be pretty useless in the lower hp range. are you in CHCH?

I am running a garett gt35R with a .70 undivided housing on a stock auto box and it broke after 2 days of me owning the car at 579 bhp. When my builds done I will be putting in the Titan auto trans with a 3200 stall and shift kit with a couple of coolers. The stock auto box lastest this power for a couple of years I believe and many have had much longer but I like to know its reliable and wont leave you stranded. Go for a Titan if your going for that power and want to stay auto :)

No, the Christchurch one is my mates "V8 KLLR" Supra. My "V8 KILR" Supra is in Auckland. :)

It really depends on whether you want to drag race it or not?. The 0.70 should help it spool okay, but it will not be close to the factory twins on spool or launch. Justin got 20psi boost at 4100rpm with a T04Z 0.96 single entry housing to give you an idea of how quick it boosts. I would expect the 0.70 divided would get 20psi by 3500rpm.

I am running a garett gt35R with a .70 undivided housing on a stock auto box and it broke after 2 days of me owning the car at 579 bhp. When my builds done I will be putting in the Titan auto trans with a 3200 stall and shift kit with a couple of coolers. The stock auto box lastest this power for a couple of years I believe and many have had much longer but I like to know its reliable and wont leave you stranded. Go for a Titan if your going for that power and want to stay auto :)

At what rpm do you get to 20psi boost?

The BL auto seems to be a bit stronger then the Titan one. Not sure how price compares though.

kaan i wasnt planning on exceeding the 500bhp limit of the auto box, probably aim for 480 to be safe....

no real plans to drag race but you never know, im sure i would be very curious to see what kind of time it would run. this BPU action just isnt satisfying me!!! haha

mr v8kilr do you have any spare parts you wish to sell me? ;) im a broke ass mofo trying to do things on a shoestring budget!!! :(

The BL auto seems to be a bit stronger then the Titan one. Not sure how price compares though.

Are you joking??

The BL is AWFUL compared ot the Titan trans... i melted my BL drag box within a few months. The Titan trans will run 800-900hp, no one has broken one even in the USA, yet~!

At what rpm do you get to 20psi boost?

I cant tell you mate I just drive it. Ive got the dyno sheet if that helps. To be honest I dont even know how to explain what turbo ive got, I think the .70 is the compressor housing. Its this one - http://www.aptuning.net/Garrett_GT35R_Turbo_p/grt-tbo-006.htm

As for the transmission everyone I have spoke to says the Titan is a stronger box.

mr v8kilr do you have any spare parts you wish to sell me? ;) im a broke ass mofo trying to do things on a shoestring budget!!! :(

Sorry, no parts to sell at this time but I can get you a new MasterPower turbo at a very good price, which will be way cheaper then any Garrett turbo. I run a MasterPower T70 and have only good things to say about them. Also check out cast manifolds as they spool a lot better then the tube ones and are good to 800+ hp.

As for the transmission everyone I have spoke to says the Titan is a stronger box.

Perhaps everyone except the only modified OEM auto Supra in the world that does 8's (see 1320ms on Supraforums USA or his website) and he runs a BL auto. :)

I'm running a TH400 as it is stronger then any of the upgraded autos. Only 3 gears but I was manual before so no real choice.

BL. By stock I mean originally OEM rather then a TH400 or similar.

How much is the full upgrade for a TH400? Because these box's I can get for nothing or have they got some special components inside? I know its just a matter of welding a new bellhousing on right or is there more to it?

How much is the full upgrade for a TH400? Because these box's I can get for nothing or have they got some special components inside? I know its just a matter of welding a new bellhousing on right or is there more to it?

I bought mine already modified to take 1200+ hp. It uses a 2JZ bellhousing bolted to the trans after cutting the GM one off. Apparently cost around £3500-4000 to modify it to hold that hp.

Here is a picture of it. http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/images/members/kevin_th400.jpg

thats cool v8killr, do masterpower do anything smaller than a t70? i think thats a bit big for my goals :p

and thankyou jamesy the first year of my supra adventure has been fantastic.... well up untill i lost my license for an "exhibition of speed" about 3 months ago ;( lol