The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo sizing for nitrous

Noz

As I understand it, nitrous feeds the engine with a large volume of oxygen, so for example, a 600bhp set up with 100bhp shot of nos would require 700bhp worth of fueling capabilities, but if the turbo is limited to 600bhp, would the set up still be ok? This may be a dumb question, but my brain tells me turbo denotes power though my logic tells me power is created by air and fuel volume and not merely bu the amount being sucked by the turbo if using other fueling resources.

My thinking is you wouldn't use a 700bhp turbo for a 600bhp setup with 100 shot as you might as well ditch the nos and run 700 constant without having to refill. I'm just trying to understand the concept of nos and it's requirements and supporting features of the engines. This may sound stupid I apologise if I sound retarded.

Thanks for any help, sorry for newb question.

I'd not be running decent boost and NOS through an EMU.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't, I nearly did myself. It's got all the outputs needed and the ability to retard timing if you jig it right.

As for the original question, I'd suggest a good read up on how nitrous works and turbo sizing, they are two different things entirely :)

No mate. Emanage is designed for nos.

I'd not let an EMU control my garage door, never mind an engine!

Let me fit a MS3 to it and you'll be laughing :D

The turbo should be just fine as Nitrous Oxide is a power producer on its own, meaning it doesn't need anything else to produce power except for the extra fuel delivery to help cool the cylinders. As why many NA engines can run it without the need for a forced induction system to supply the engine with more air.

Just a thought I could be wrong tho...

I'd not let an EMU control my garage door, never mind an engine!

Let me fit a MS3 to it and you'll be laughing :D

It was a joke mate :D I'm sure with the right set up and enough time to sort it I'm sure it would be a possibility. But, that's not the road for me. Thought such a statement would get responses ;)

I've began reading up on it, I'm just asking the odd question when I find something I'm curious about and google isn't in the mood for easy answers.

Every year my collection of pistons with broken lands and broken rings increases in direct proportion to how many people are "trying" NOS ;) For every set up that works properly and safely there must be 100 that are plain grenades with the pin out. I have only met one user who didn't get totally fed up with running out of gas and the cost and hassle of refills, and he works at BOC... Step stealthily, it breaks hearts and engines.

as far as im aware it the volitile ignition of nitrus that makes the power so you boost should not be affected

Boost will increase dramatically, the whole idea of the extra oxygen and fuel is to create more combustion pressures by BURNING more fuel. more burnt fuel = more exhaust gasses, which increase boost unless you have a monster wastegate that will tolerate a sudden rise if already open to control "normal" boost. One of the reasons it's so unpredictable and potentially engine damaging is because the pressure rise can be so sudden and so high. It needs dedicated ecu control, IMO, then it can work very well, but you might sacrifice a few engines getting the mapping right. Ideally the map needs an axis dedicated to bottle pressure, too. It all gets very complicated and costly. A cheap nitrous system is good news to folks like me though ;)

Boost will increase dramatically, the whole idea of the extra oxygen and fuel is to create more combustion pressures by BURNING more fuel. more burnt fuel = more exhaust gasses, which increase boost unless you have a monster wastegate that will tolerate a sudden rise if already open to control "normal" boost. One of the reasons it's so unpredictable and potentially engine damaging is because the pressure rise can be so sudden and so high. It needs dedicated ecu control, IMO, then it can work very well, but you might sacrifice a few engines getting the mapping right. Ideally the map needs an axis dedicated to bottle pressure, too. It all gets very complicated and costly. A cheap nitrous system is good news to folks like me though ;)

yes thats what i was trying to say ;), i persoanlly have never been tempted by nos, unless you have a dedicated drag car it seems a bit pointless to me

Great for drag cars, it will make a huge turbo spool like a baby one, but I wouldn't consider it in my wildest dreams for a road car, total PITA, and the damage NOS will do if it dets an engine is quite awesome. I have seen head gaskets squeezed out the sides of the head / block, stretched head and main bearing bolts, cracked main caps, collapsed pistons, bent rods, bent cranks, cracked bores. It takes no prisoners, that's for sure :) It's (allegedly) a good dating stimulant though...

Some good advice Chris, I did wonder about the sudden change of power rather than the final value of pressure but the strain change on the components.

I think if I do a build I'll just use a small set up, say 35-50. It may seem pointless, but before I buy a house it's definitely something I'd like to say I done and understood and didn't sacrifice too much of a risk through the process. I'm hoping by lowering compression more than usual I'll be safer when it comes to using it.