The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A owner, questions bout going TT or T.

Angry Acorn

Hi all,

So its time now I think that I join the big boys, had the car 2 years now and I need more power!

So iv been looking around at a few right up's and options and this is what i'd like to know,

I'm going to buy a TT lump, shall i go VVTi or GTE? then the N/A 2JZ I currently have is amazing very tight and strong, so should I/ is it advisable to just strip the TT lump and just bolt on what i need to the N/A to make it a TT? or should I do a complete engine swop? I can get a TT Lump for very little where I live and they seem to be in pretty good condition! but obviously changing an engine in a car cause reg problems etc! What if i bought and swopped the engine then developed my N/A into a single turbo?

Im aiming for 600bhp + -, what do you guys suggest? I would like to get this right with very little headaches!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Do your research. The forum is covered in na-t vs TT swap threads. People have their own opinions and many miss the advantages and disadvantages of both. Best advice is to research the various discussions and find the different points of both processes. People will be swayed towards what they currently own.

What everyone has already mentioned really.

There's alot more than just looking for the engine. Has some members already mentioned, the diff, brakes, ecu looms and etc.

Unless you have alot of time, patience and money than its up to you.

Remember if you want 600BHP you need to spend more money.

ok well my N/A came with the supra big brakes as well as the 6speed gearbox all im missing other than a TT or T engine is the right Diff as well as a clutch ( I do have one rated up to 550bhp but its noisy very noisy). I feel the engine swop is going to be alot less hassle mechanical wise? I live in zambia in southern africa, im correct in saying ill need an ecu? or would the engine come with one? any tips when looking at and for a new engine?

Much appreciated to those who actually supplied some advice!

P.s I can get anything from UK aswell as South Africa with very little hassle.

You will need a TT ecu, but if going for more power then at least a good piggy back, preferably an aftermarket ecu.

There are a couple of single turbos being broken right now. You may be able to get the majority of parts required from them if you have a ganders in the for sale section.

ok well my N/A came with the supra big brakes as well as the 6speed gearbox all im missing other than a TT or T engine is the right Diff as well as a clutch ( I do have one rated up to 550bhp but its noisy very noisy). I feel the engine swop is going to be alot less hassle mechanical wise? I live in zambia in southern africa, im correct in saying ill need an ecu? or would the engine come with one? any tips when looking at and for a new engine?

Much appreciated to those who actually supplied some advice!

P.s I can get anything from UK aswell as South Africa with very little hassle.

If you are going to run the 2JZ-GTE engine with the stock TT turbos then you will need a stock manual 2JZ-GTE ECU and harness.

I seem to be finding lots of VVTI TT engines at the moment this side, should I stay away from these?

What year is your Supra? If it's a pre-facelift model then I'd fit a non-VVTi 2JZ-GTE, it is a facelift then the VVTi 2JZ-GTE would be less of a problem.