The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto supra on track

NathWraith

Hey guys,

Is there anyone on here who uses a TT Auto supra on track?

I know manual is the preffered choice but not all of us Supra owners can be belssed with a 6 speed, so my question is do any of the auto guys take their supra's on track and how do you find it?

I would imagine due to the longer ratios, 2nd and 3rd with manu mode on and overdrive disabled would be the way to go.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

I ran my J-Spec TT auto on umpteen track days and it was good fun. I also ran J-Spec brakes and with careful choice of pads and fluid got them to survive on most circuits (Donington GP circuit was their undoing, but it's rarely used for track days BECAUSE it's so hard on brakes). Run the box in manual mode, you don't want it doing its thing mid corner in the wet!! I did not disable O/D, as far as I can recall. It'll be fine :)

i run mine round brands hatch a few times, i run with O/D off and just left it in D i was very suprised how well it goes it would be better in manual mode but i was to lazy for that and your only going to use 2nd and 3rd , give it a bash its great but your brakes do get a pounding as there is no real engine braking unless in manual mode

Run the box in manual mode, you don't want it doing its thing mid corner in the wet!! I did not disable O/D, as far as I can recall. It'll be fine :)
There'd be no point, in MANU mode you can't get into OD anyway. (Excluding the documented exceptions)

I have been on track a couple of times and the car is absolutely flying! I wouldn't worry about having an auto in the slightest, what I would be concerned about is as the others say getting a decent set of pads and making sure you have decent cooling and let the car idle for a decent time when you finish. I was suprised how much the stock pads faded during the laps.

No problems here other than the odd bit of pilot error :)

I'd get your suspension geometry checked as well as the health checks mentioned above. New brake fluid

is a must unless you know its been changed recently.

I always did a cooling down lap after being on it but just remember to keep out the way

of everyone else :)

PLEASE do not try running full auto in the wet, it is asking for a spin as it decides to change up or down when you are on the limit in corners. You wouldn't change gear mid corner manually, or if you did have to, you would be damned sure to get the clutch release Miss daisy smooth. The auto will cause sudden power and weight transfer and unless you are good, fast and dead accurate with opposite lock, you'll be wondering what happened ;) This is why experienced bike riders rarely spin road cars, they know all about sudden torque reversals, mid corner braking and mid corner gear changes, and probably have at best, soiled leathers to recall it by, and at worst, a few scars! It's all fairly simple physics, and easily worked around if you think about what's happening.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I know about the harshness on brakes and the cooling off side of things.

Just need to get some good fluid in really. I had motul rbf 600 in my 350z and got HKS braided lines done also. May be worth doing the same to the supra then.

PLEASE do not try running full auto in the wet, it is asking for a spin as it decides to change up or down when you are on the limit in corners. You wouldn't change gear mid corner manually, or if you did have to, you would be damned sure to get the clutch release Miss daisy smooth. The auto will cause sudden power and weight transfer and unless you are good, fast and dead accurate with opposite lock, you'll be wondering what happened ;) This is why experienced bike riders rarely spin road cars, they know all about sudden torque reversals, mid corner braking and mid corner gear changes, and probably have at best, soiled leathers to recall it by, and at worst, a few scars! It's all fairly simple physics, and easily worked around if you think about what's happening.

Oh please Nath isn't the type to lose control of his Supra, you'll be warning him about fences next ;)

for occasional track days would an oil cooler be worth it for the engine oil and auto box?

for hard driving the autobox will apriciate a cooler yes. if its your daily too a stated engine oil cooler would be good, but if your not doing extended runs then its not allway essential, id say get an oil temp guage first and see how it does

And in case anyone wasn't aware, the lever can be moved between N, D and 2 without pressing the button. This allows 'enthusiastic' handling of the lever without worrying about accidentally dropping into 1st or reverse by mistake.

I find moving the auto gear selector is not as responsive when MANU is off as it is with MANU on.

The last few track days I have driven MANU on, O/D off, Slip Control Off in the dry.

I have Black diamond slotted and grooved discs with EBS Yellow Stuff pads.

I can normally get in about 10-15 laps of a reasonable length circuit before having to come off to cool them.

Back tyres normally take a hammering with Track Control off and a set of Yellow stuff normally lasts me two track days on the front and 3 or 4 on the back.

Just the facts, different driving styles will yield different results.

(But, as above don't use full auto in the wet, that would be an expensive and smelly mistake)