The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When do people get full boost?

ardasaliah

Originally posted by ardasaliah

1st, 2nd or 3rd gear ??????????

Manual or Auto?

I don't think I get full boost in 1st gear in my auto, but everything's happening so quickly its a bit difficult to tell :eek: I'm pretty sure that from 2nd onwards its there, but at that rate of accelleration I tend to be watching the road rather than the boost gauge :D

Originally posted by terribleturner

but with an auto im thinking that if you have overdrive off and you floor it from a stand still then as soon as you hit 3800/4000 revs you'll have full boost wont you??

Nooooo, how many times! The overdrive does not affect revs, boost or anything else like that. It just stops you going into 4th gear.

I think we need to introduce an overdrive fine box for anyone who suggests it does otherwise! :p

Originally posted by terribleturner

Sorry. I was told by a mate that overdrive kept it in gear longer up to and including 3rd. I guess i better go back to the drawing bored.:(

to be honest i always thought the same. ie with o/d on the car changes up gears quicker and like you say when off holds the gears longer:confused:

Originally posted by leett

to be honest i always thought the same. ie with o/d on the car changes up gears quicker and like you say when off holds the gears longer:confused:

Right, well I'll quote from the Supra manual then. "Overdrive switch, for selecting either a three-speed or four-speed transmission". That's all it does. See this link for a detailed description of it. :)

Originally posted by leett

and I posted to this effect sometime ago coz I recon mine does as well be interesting to see whether or not we are all running stock or aftermarket ECU's.

Well i'm gonna try it in o/d on and off and watch the rev counter and post up my findings after all it might just be my imagination

The problem comes with accurately testing. The auto boxes characteristics are very dependant on how you use the accellerator. It's normally the case that when you turn off overdrive it's because you're doing some spirited driving, which in turn causes the auto box to hold gears longer etc, making it easy to mistake turning overdrive off as having some other affect than just disabling 4th gear.

I did do some tests myself, and found that if I planted my foot on the accellerator the car would red line in all gears regardless of whether the overdrive is enabled or not. If the overdrive did prevent the box changing up so soon then I wouldn't be able to redline it with overdrive turned on would I?

Anyway, I'm always interested as to why none of the professionals (someone like Chris W) don't just tell us the truth, I'm sure they have enough knowledge is this field to know whether the overdrive button does anything other than disable 4th gear.

• 2 years later...

If I floor mine with O/D on it accelerates away, changing up at approx 6750 revs, with full boost at about 4000.

However, if I acceleerate with O/D off, it accelerates away, changing up at approx 6750 revs, with full bosst at about 4000.

Oh wait.... that's exactly the same then, except I only get up to 3rd gear with O/D off :D

• 3 weeks later...