The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA dyno graph

thomo8568

Hi

Just had my car on the dyno, as I wanted to check the fuelling out. This is the graph I got is the dip at about 5000rpm normal. Be good to see other NA printouts if possible.

Wouldn't look to much at the numbers, as looks like they have messed with them a bit.

The two lines are on nitrous top an NA bottom

Cheers

Ian

Would be nice if you could let us now some more facts concerning you nitrous setup. been tempted for a year now .... its hard to get some information concerning nitrous for a motor that is famous for boosting :)

regards, herbert

1st was completely standard and was not serviced in a few years plus i used it to commute to and from work a total of 3 miles so it felt clogged up.

Second was with a OBX manifold, both cats removed, blitz nur spec, mines ecu, blitz panel filter and 101 RON fuel, had been serviced loads and given a damn good thrashing. it hit just under 98mph on the drag strip which is higher than any NA i have seen without nitrous.

Would be nice if you could let us now some more facts concerning you nitrous setup. been tempted for a year now .... its hard to get some information concerning nitrous for a motor that is famous for boosting :)

regards, herbert

Don't know how much you want to know

I'm running a wizzard of nos kit with progressive controler bottle heater and 11lb bottle( just fits behind rear seat)

I'm running a 100shot which just made 60bhp extra but is running rich so should make more once I reduce the fuel jet.

Cost about £60 per refill which lasts about 6min which don't sound much but if you think you only use it for about 10secs a time iota not to bad. I refill between once a mth to once every 3mth. Just depends on how much I use it really

Not had any problems with it, my engine and gearbox are still fine

There is a wizzard of nos forum have a look an you will find most the answers for most things

If you need to know anything else just ask, will help if I can

All the graphs shown are using TAT dyno software. I know the guy that writes the TAT software. It is very good, and normally pretty accurate when calibrated right!

It all just depends on calibration tho, have also read that they can trick the end results in to being higher by putting the hand break on a bit on rundown.

Can't see me having 248bhp tho that's the thing.

The dip shouldn't be there but since it's not standard it's like comparing apples to oranges. When I first dyno'd my NA it had that dip, Ryan.G found a problem with the plenum valve which was stuck in the open position, thus reducing torque at mid and low RPM. Here is the dyno graph showing before and after fixing it (on a bog standard NA). Green is after, obviously :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=154547&stc=1&d=1341951583

Supra NA dyno1.jpg

The dip shouldn't be there but since it's not standard it's like comparing apples to oranges. When I first dyno'd my NA it had that dip, Ryan.G found a problem with the plenum valve which was stuck in the open position, thus reducing torque at mid and low RPM. Here is the dyno graph showing before and after fixing it (on a bog standard NA). Green is after, obviously :)

Oh right. Be worth having a look at that to see if there is any problem. Any idea of best way to check it?

Not so sure, I did mine on the dyno and ryan spotted a hose wasn't connected to the VSV. I suppose it's best to check the simple stuff first like the pressure lines are not split or disconnected (and the one to the VSV is a real bugger as it's hidden underneath the Y-peice)

Don't know how much you want to know

I'm running a wizzard of nos kit with progressive controler bottle heater and 11lb bottle( just fits behind rear seat)

I'm running a 100shot which just made 60bhp extra but is running rich so should make more once I reduce the fuel jet.

Cost about £60 per refill which lasts about 6min which don't sound much but if you think you only use it for about 10secs a time iota not to bad. I refill between once a mth to once every 3mth. Just depends on how much I use it really

Not had any problems with it, my engine and gearbox are still fine

There is a wizzard of nos forum have a look an you will find most the answers for most things

If you need to know anything else just ask, will help if I can

thanks a lot for the information. sounds pretty interesting. but i love the car so much and nitrous is always risky :)

I did a lot of mods on my NA-BPU (It's called that way on our german club) build till now, and as already said, gaining a few additional hp from an NA costs a lot.

I invested about 5000€ in my 2JZGE.

Basic spec is:

x) Mine's VX Rom ECU 12/2011-Spec

X) Xerd Header

X) Hand made midpipe system including both decats and installing a Kenobi 200 cell high flow cat

x) Tanabe medalion touring exhaust

x) lightweight pulleys

x) rebuilt head + water pump, timingbelt etc. - so pretty the standard things

x) Denso iridium IK16 plus silicone ignition wiring

x) all hoses new, also vacuum hoses etc.

x) HKS DLI (Special NA edition - now discontinued)

x) ATI crank damper

... and so much more :)

A few people on here will call me stupid BUT down here in Austria it is strictly illegal to turbocharge NA cars... So NA-T is no option here.

I dynoed it with 227 PS and 282 NM torque. Power delivery is very smooth!

It is a very agile car now indeed... I love it the NA-way...

Of course the whole rest of the car was rebuilt too...

Because I get Pm's once a day from people wanting to know more about my NA-Spec I'm going to do a built thread covering the last two years of my built in the next couple of days.

Regards, Herbert

PS: The dyno shows metric data! ---> "PS" and "Newtonmeter"!

dyno_allein2012.jpg

Edited by Herb (see edit history)

thanks a lot for the information. sounds pretty interesting. but i love the car so much and nitrous is always risky :)

I know there is a lot of negative info out there for nitrous, I was also worried about my engine blowing up, so I did a lot of research before I decided on a kit. Wizzard of nos kits are the best kits on the marked by far. As long as you have a progressive controller, your mixture isn't too lean and you don't try to have to big a hit of nitrous then you shouldnt have any problem's

I've bin running with a 100 shot of nitrous for over a year now with no problems and my brother has a 50shot on his 1.8 ford zetec with no problems.

Be good to read your full set up. Think i have done a lot of the same things, less for the hks dli, silicon leads and mines ecu.

Looks like most the cars with mods have the dip around the same spot. Wonder of one or more of the mods is making the power dip more than a standerd car. Going to have a good look at second butterfly an see if there is any problem.

Do the club run rolling road days? Be good to see how my cars graph compares with other NA's on the same dyno on same day with same operator.