The mkiv Supra Owners Club

View on radiator hose, oem vs hardpipe kit

supraGZaerotop

In going to get rid of my stainless hardpipe and order a brand new toyota part, lucky because i was just checking my oil & fluid lvls and noticed my silicone coupler to my rad is half ripped thru!! the hardpipe kit was fitted to the car when bought and have never liked the idea of it, this now has made my mind up. New oem everytime, all this talk of oem hose's sagging my ass, what a load of rubbish that is. my previous supra was 15years old and the rad pipe was perfect.

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

this one has been on mine a few years also. it can still happen, break and lose my coolent i worry about

My hardpipe has been on the car for nearly five years and havnt had a problem yet,

maybe the jubilee clip was overtightened causing a small split and the split has expanded with the heat

ok will let you know

If you're getting rid of it, dibs on the hardpipe if it's stainless :)

someone beat you to it sorry. not sure if il sell it anyway, most likely will. how much do you want for the pipe you have, was going to order a new one, believe a new oem is around £25 with new clips

I have standard pipe here i could give you with some cash for your hard pipe

i couldint agree with you more chris, thats why ive just ordered a brand new oem part from my local toyota world, £16 the top hose :D, new clips £12 :blink:nearly as much as the hose, parts guy on phone said they are really good quality so i thought just order them and be done with it, proper toyota squeeze type. funny because i was telling him about the hardpipe kit on my supra and i know this guy, hes work in parts in my local toyota for donkeys years and even he said that the oem pipework has a certain amount of flex init etc so having a solid pipe is not good, well mine has torn, confindence in that part is now out the window, hense new part. and no i havint over tighten my j-clips becasue i havint ever touched them since buying the car.

This should be in tech, there are VERY good technical reasons NOT to fit 99% of top hose hard pipe kits, which I have posted on several occasions.
Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

This should be in tech, there are VERY good technical reasons NOT to fit 99% of top hose hard pipe kits, which I have posted on several occasions.
But unless this thread actually goes into those technical reasons, it should stay here.

New oem everytime, all this talk of oem hose's sagging my ass, what a load of rubbish that is.
Just to say that sagging is an issue otherwise why would Toyota have added an extra clip to the later models right where that hose... well sags! :)

Just to say that sagging is an issue otherwise why would Toyota have added an extra clip to the later models right where that hose... well sags! :)

not saying it isint a issue just ive never seen it, had 2 tt supra over for 4-5 years now and its not been an issue for me. but then i dont do alot of mileage in the car, and like i said before id rather buy a new hose every year if it were that bad which it anit.

this now for sale, listy35 has first choice, but if he dont want it then whoever wants it also not sure what to ask for it? offers. its a thor racing part i beleive and is alloy, one of the couplers in spilt so you would need new ones, comes with the clips as pictured. or and it could do with a good alloy polish, 2007 is the date on invoice i has for it. if you want il include the original invoice if you want it for your history folder.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l462/supraGZaerotop/new%20supra%202011%20photos%20etc/IMG_1818.jpg

After reading this thread mate, I think I'll back out and go for a silicone hose instead.

Cheers anyway dude.