The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Glovebox Screen build

pbryant_knight

HI All,

I've been off work this week so i set about building a 7" screen into the upper glovebox area. I never normally remember to take progress pics but this time i did take a few so thought i'd post up kind of a guide as to how i did it.

The first thing to do was to remove the upper glovebox which was easier than i thought. 2 screws at the top and then remove the lower glove box and i think there was 2 screws there.

Then i set about removing the vinyl and foam from the lid. this was a total pain. I never could get all the foam and glue off so i ended up having to put a thin layer of filler over the whole front in the end to get it to bond.

Next i made a card template of where the monitor would go and cut a hole in the glovebox lid. The Monitor came with a frame which i fiberglassed the top part in place then got some thick plastic to bridge from the bottom of the glovebox lid to the bottom of the monitor as in the pic below.

Next i made some side parts to fix between the surround and the glovebox out of the same thick plastic.

This is what it looks like from behind

Next was to cover the entire front in a layer of filler to bond over the top of the excess bits of foama dn glue that just would not budge. Also filled in the inside of the bild to join the plastcs together and the monitor frame. This was really fiddley to get the filler in the corners

Now the sanding begins until the front is smooth. Had to re-fill and re-sand quite a few times to get it right, and again the inside corners were a bitch as you just couldn't get the sandpaper in properly to smooth it out

Several layers of primer and top coat later and the install looks like this with the screen fitted in place.

And here's a few pics of how it looks in the car

All in all, i'm quite pleased with how it looks although when the engine is turned on there is some slight wavering in the picture. I never thought of checking this when i tried it i just turned the key to the accessory mark. Gonna try to get a suppressor for a stereo tomorrow and attach it to the power wires to see if that cures the problem.

Peter

I'm not 100% on your steering wheel, but the rest of the dash looks like a really good combination of custom vs stock, custom interior with suttle modifications definitely looks better, really liking your work mate. Come work for me :D

I've never really understood the obsession with putting screens in cars, but that looks fantastic. Almost looks like it came from the factory like that.

Yep, looks like it would have rolled out of the factory like that! Superb work, looks really good!

Thanks guys. I put a stereo power suppressor on it this morning and its cured the screen noise 99% so i'm more than happy now. I klnow what you mean about the steering wheel but the seats and door cards will be done to match soon so hopefully that will look better than just having a blue steering wheel in a black car :)

Peter