The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How I change the engine oil on my Toyota Supra on my driveway(pic)

Gabriella

Due to Suprapod and lack of time to get Supra for a service I decided to do it my mini Supra service myself.. My Supra is a import N/A model. If you are thinking about changing the oil and filter on your Supra for the first time its not a difficult job to do.

You Will Need:

Socket (No 14)

5 litres of 0w40 Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil is what I use (Halfords £49.99)

Sump plug and new washer (Halfords £5)

New oil filter

Pan/bucket/tray to catch about 5 litres of old oil.

Blanket

Washing rubber gloves

Paper towels

so:

Make sure that the engine is not cold if so run it for a one or two minutes to warm up the oil so it flows out more easily. Leave in Parking and with handbreak on, engine off :)

Jack the Supra up:

Put on a stands:

Put bucket or trey under:

Put gloves on while unscrewing the nut(oil will be semi hot and it will flows as soon you will loosen the screw)

It willl take few minutes to empty out so leave it until it stops. Remove the oil filler cap from the top of the engine now.

When oil stops running out time to clean this space and replace the sump and washer nut with the new one and tighten it up.

Move bucket/tray to the side to be just under the Oil filter and leave it there..

Time to change oil filter:

Put some paper towels around because as soon you will loosen oil filter, oil will flow..

Put washing up glove to get a better grip of the oil filter, unscrew it, should not be too hard as it should be on twist..

But If its stuck like mine use wrench to do it..

Screw on new Oil filter.

Fill the engine with about 4 litres of new oil, now check the oil level with dipstic. Run engine to circulate new oil(one minute). Leave it for 5 minutes to settle and then check oil level again. It took about 4.5L of oil to reach max level in my Supra.

Put the oil cap back, close the bonnet, remove all rubbish from under the car, put the car down. Run it for a while to check for leaks and All done :)

Probably a silly question but I thought this was the oil type to use from the thread??

2JZ-GE Engine Oil (NA (Non Turbo) Engine on a MKIV (JDM only))

Stock = 5w30 Semi Synthetic

I recommend Fully Synthetic 5w30-10w40

Dry Capacity 6.2L's

5w30 - Motul 300V

5w40 - Motul 300V, Silkolene Pro S

Change capacity 4.8-5.8L's

I'd recommened Silkolene Pro S 5w40.

Being less stressed that the GTE version any Fully Synthetic oil between a 5w30 and 10w40 should suffice.

Interval = 9-12,000miles depending on use

As far as the amount of oil goes, don't forget there will still be oil in the engine, and not all of it will leave the sump. Some will be left in there. Mine took 6 litres but I had the sump off and cleaned it all out.

I use 5w40 in mine.

Good write up though :) I also had to use a wrench to get my filter off.

Good write up K.

We did this to joiner91(Ross's) car last sat. We also did coolant, plugs, and O2 sensors( which will make a huge difference) to the MPG

See ya on sat.

Has he actually seen much gain on his Mpg yet Geo?? Most the threads I have seen on here talking about it have either not had any updates after the O2's were swapped or said they were minimal gains.

Has he actually seen much gain on his Mpg yet Geo?? Most the threads I have seen on here talking about it have either not had any updates after the O2's were swapped or said they were minimal gains.

car has been sat up since last sat mate, Ross aint used it. We will find out this Friday when were heading down, so ask me at Pod and i'll let you know bud. :D Im guessing its going to make a huge difference, the 02 sensors we pulled out were manky, probably the original ones. Ross did say he was getting 18mpg so anything on that will be a bonus i reckon. :D

car has been sat up since last sat mate, Ross aint used it. We will find out this Friday when were heading down, so ask me at Pod and i'll let you know bud. :D Im guessing its going to make a huge difference, the 02 sensors we pulled out were manky, probably the original ones. Ross did say he was getting 18mpg so anything on that will be a bonus i reckon. :D

18mpg christ, I hope for his sake that was around town and not on a motorway. I noticed when I gave my mate a lift to Keron's it used sod all fuel on the motorways but as soon as I was in Leicester that was it for my Mpg :(

Thank You for nice comments.

Closing the bonnet, easy thing to do? :D

I hate you.

We also did coolant, plugs, and O2 sensors( which will make a huge difference) to the MPG

See ya on sat.

I just find out that Suprapod is this weekend ;) so that is why I'm doing things on last minute.. (Supra is going to garage for check up and full service next monday)

I will see you on Firday :)

Graham, this oil been suggested to me and I also saw documents where "Toyota" recommend this exact engine oil for N/A import Supra..

Graham, this oil been suggested to me and I also saw documents where "Toyota" recommend this exact engine oil for N/A import Supra..

Yeah sorry I was not saying you were wrong I was just going by what I read on that thread and frankly where I know Jack sugar myself I wondered if it mattered or what's right or wrong ect.

Easy on an NA to get to the oil filter from the top, on a TT I can only get in from the bottom as I can't get the filter out through all the gubbins in the way. I spilt a lot of oil finding that out the hard way.

I couldnt get mine from the bottom at all i managed to get mine out from the top. Even managed the larger lexus filter back in from the top aswell i took off one of the fuel pipes that was in the way and it worked a treat.

A good trick for the oil filter is to double-bag two Tesco-style carrier bags and put them under and around the filter. You catch most of the oil and you can lift the filter out using the bags. Bit of a ballache to initially position but saves a lot of mess :)

A good trick for the oil filter is to double-bag two Tesco-style carrier bags and put them under and around the filter. You catch most of the oil and you can lift the filter out using the bags. Bit of a ballache to initially position but saves a lot of mess :)

Nice trick bud i'll keep that in mind

Nice write up :thumbs:

A good trick for the oil filter is to double-bag two Tesco-style carrier bags and put them under and around the filter.

Nice tip too :thumbs: Are Tesco carrier bags OK or is it better to use ones in a similar style but not tesco branded?

A good trick for the oil filter is to double-bag two Tesco-style carrier bags and put them under and around the filter....

I tried to put those annoying plastic bags around etc ..then I get a bit angry when I couldn't loosen oil filter so I ripped those bags apart. I used less aggressive paper towels instead :)

To be perfectly honest the 18 is a made up figure i guestimated. My driving consists soley of town/commuting without being on a motorway. I got around 200-250 miles out of £80 worth of fuel but on a long run to Aberdeen to see Team Beard HQ i got 230miles to half a tank.

I have only used the car once since Saturday so cannot comment on the new O2 sensors but Fridays drive shall be the test. Car definately runs smoother thanks to the service which we should really do a similar write-up on

EDIT: Very good write up though!!

To be perfectly honest the 18 is a made up figure i guestimated. My driving consists soley of town/commuting without being on a motorway. I got around 200-250 miles out of £80 worth of fuel but on a long run to Aberdeen to see Team Beard HQ i got 230miles to half a tank.

I have only used the car once since Saturday so cannot comment on the new O2 sensors but Fridays drive shall be the test. Car definately runs smoother thanks to the service which we should really do a similar write-up on

EDIT: Very good write up though!!

So you were getting just over 36mpg on a run and decided it was time to change the O2 sensors?

Worked out using: £80 of fuel, ie. 57L at £1.40

230 miles traveled on half a tank, so 28.5L used is 36.7mpg.

200 miles out of a tank(57L) would be 16mpg.

250 miles out of a tank(57L) would be 20mpg.

:)

So you were getting just over 36mpg on a run and decided it was time to change the O2 sensors?

Worked out using: £80 of fuel, ie. 57L at £1.40

230 miles traveled on half a tank, so 28.5L used is 36.7mpg.

200 miles out of a tank(57L) would be 16mpg.

250 miles out of a tank(57L) would be 20mpg.

:)

Haha. Thanks for working the figures out. I wasnt far off with a guesstimation of 18 daily driving.

The long run was a shock, couldnt believe how well it done in terms of fuel but the O2 sensors were buggered when we took them out so its just good for piece of mind