The mkiv Supra Owners Club

v160/v161 Vs Trip Tronic Vs Auto

Geo

I had an auto TT & now have a V161, as great as the 6 speed is, it has nothing on the auto for smooth driving & brutal savage kick down. If you just want BPU & a bit of luxury driving, cruiser bruiser the auto is the one you. Oh plus it's quicker...

Oops did I say that out loud? :D

Oh, an do it Geo, I know what you are thinking ;)

I had an auto TT & now have a V161, as great as the 6 speed is, it has nothing on the auto for smooth driving & brutal savage kick down. If you just want BPU & a bit of luxury driving, cruiser bruiser the auto is the one you. Oh plus it's quicker...

Oops did I say that out loud? :D

Oh, an do it Geo, I know what you are thinking ;)

Yeah that!

are you gonna make this one a monster aswell then? as when it comes to poweeeeeerrrrrr auto's are for the weak and feeble :p

BPU + Syvecs is the way forward for Fun, Done the power thing, i want to enjoy the car, and if it breaks its relatively cheap to fix. :D

I forget, was the V160 the ones on the SZ/RZ and the V161 with a quicker change on the SZ-R and RZ-R?

I'm pretty sure that the gear change on my VVTi Tip is quicker than it was on either my SZ or RZ.

The longer hear ratios do generally mean if you've got decent low end power (ie not most single turbos) then it's a nice long pull before a change.

The buttons can be a little more fun if you fancy it and the auto mode is nice in traffic and for generally cruising around.

I've only driven a manual once and would say if you want to use your car as a sports car like JamieP does then you'd go for a 6spd every time ;)

I have owned and driven a normal auto, a 6sp and then a tiptronic. Had them all at BPU and the 6sp up to a single turbo. My favourite is still the standard auto box. I had nearly the same level of control as I did with the 6sp, had full throttle gear changes and on a cold night the BPU+ on the j-spec would scare the willies out of me when doing a kick down from around 40mph, something the single turbo never did.

I have a tiptronic at the moment, but would love to go back to a VVTI with a standard autobox (although I dont think they actually exist..).

So it is auto all the way for me, and the tiptronic is pretty close.

I would never have a manual road car, through choice. The standard auto Supra box has far less potential "issues" than a Tiptronic. The 6 speed manual has one too many gears (probably the marketing department held sway over the engineering department), and it's quite an agricultural change. It's strong hough, and for modified Supras beyond de catting, it's probably the way to go.

In all fairness, the only people I've ever heard slate 6speeds are people that own autos.

I'll never slate the auto as I've never owned one, however For me, I like fast road and track driving, I just have no appeal to do this without changing gear

I've owned both, and agree with some of the points Chris made.

You can be 100% in control of an auto, though when I say 100% I am not talking taking it drifting.

I never liked autos, I feel they take the fun out of driving, even with the paddle shifts/DSG/DCT etc, its fantastic tech, I reckon its for lazy guys...

However, its a matter of personal choice, best would be to drive an auto if you can, then you can compare for yourself.

Usage of the car needs to be taken into acc, if its a daily driver, may be better to go for an auto, if all out sports car, manual may be more exciting...

I own an auto and have driven a manual, and they both have merits and it seems that which one you prefer completely depends on the type of driving you do.

I love my auto and is perfect for cruising and the kick down is great (it was the perfect for Dragonball). But when I drove the manual I loved the involvement going round the twisties :)

And obviously for big power the manual is a much stronger box!

I have both at the moment - 6 speed single with multiplate clutch, and stock TT auto. The auto is MILES easier to drive because you simply do not have to think - just point and shoot. Doesn't give me the same thrill as the single, but there must be a good couple of hundred horsepower difference.

Never had a powerful auto, but have been in my friend's BPU then T04Z singled tiptronic auto... it's quite fast - the gear changes are so quick with a shift kitted auto that the torque seems not to stop!