The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyo T1-R

SamuraiFlash

A mate of mine who has a tyre place has offered me a couple of Toyo T1-R's in 275 40 18's for a good price.

Before I take the offer I thought I'd ask you guys for opinions and more importantly experience with these tyres on a Supra. The most important question for me is how well they perform in the wet?

Thanks.

Best in the dry without going to R888 but not very good in the wet!

Edit: just seen marty's post. Maybe just me but I have always struggled with tyres in the wet as when I ran the auto diff (manual car) and a small turbo at 600bhp the kick when boost came on meant I used to lose grip in 5th gear in the wet.

I would recommend them though, I used them for years

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

Mine were great in the wet, i couldn't lose traction once i hit 3rd, even at full boost, it was a challenge to light them up in 2nd in the dry. Although i wasn't running as much power as you Pig, 570bhp, plus it was a larger turbo so maybe the power delivery was different.

The conti's were easy to spin in 4th in the dry, didn't rate them one bit, plus they were 285 compared to the 265s the t1r's were..

Best in the dry without going to R888 but not very good in the wet!

Edit: just seen marty's post. Maybe just me but I have always struggled with tyres in the wet as when I ran the auto diff (manual car) and a small turbo at 600bhp the kick when boost came on meant I used to lose grip in 5th gear in the wet.

I would recommend them though, I used them for years

Edited by Marty (see edit history)

Sticky tyres wet n dry, don't last long though

I disagree, they are a soft compound but will last FLASH :)

I would have them in an instant - they are discontinued now

Probably the best tyre I've used shame they phased them out

Thanks for replying with your opinions guys, I can see from you experiences that the Toyo's are a good Tyre. It's a shame that they are being discontinued.

Not sure Dunk, they are new but not sure how long they have been in stock. Will being in stock for a long time affect the Tyre?

Yes it will, there should be a date code on the side wall but if their new then i'd doubt they will be too old

to concern you.

I disagree, they are a soft compound but will last FLASH :)

I would have them in an instant - they are discontinued now

Camskill have them listed and in stock for next day delivery £223 for 275 40 18's

So much for camskill being cheap !!

I've just noticed that these aren't XL rated which i thought they should be

for a supra.

I've noticed that mytyres.com do some of the wider tyres cheaper. I bought vredesteins for the front in 255 35 18 for £40 cheaper than camskill.

Btw are there any problems associated with going for a bigger side wall? Basically I currently have 275 35 18 on the rear wheels and I'd like to put on 275 40 18's to get that starsky and hutch look ;)

Edited by SamuraiFlash (see edit history)

I have a set of those tire in 19" (235 and 265") for 5-7 000 km, really the WORSE tires i ever had. I try them with two coilover setup (first with TEIN Monoflex and now with KW V3).

Yes the grip is good, yes they look ok... but the directivity and steering accuracy are awful ! my car feel like a hovercraft when i drive above 100 mph, the sidewall of those tires are really to soft for a heavy GT such the Supra.

To figure out, i try switching the 4 wheels with a friend and his Falken tires (also on Volk 19" wheel), those were much better in directivity and car feeling.

Now i m considering Contisportcontact 5p, ready to spend good money on tires since i so bored with those Toyo

I have a set of those tire in 19" (235 and 265") for 5-7 000 km, really the WORSE tires i ever had. I try them with two coilover setup (first with TEIN Monoflex and now with KW V3).

Yes the grip is good, yes they look ok... but the directivity and steering accuracy are awful ! my car feel like a hovercraft when i drive above 100 mph, the sidewall of those tires are really to soft for a heavy GT such the Supra.

To figure out, i try switching the 4 wheels with a friend and his Falken tires (also on Volk 19" wheel), those were much better in directivity and car feeling.

Now i m considering Contisportcontact 5p, ready to spend good money on tires since i so bored with those Toyo

Could this be due to them not being XL rated ?