The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Max hp from original engine?

Thomas.B

its a weigh of the more power you put in the less reliable it will be Mr T thought this weigh off was at 320bhp for a good car smooth 0-60 and 100% reliable so my fag packet maths would put it at if you doubled the power you half the reliablity so 640bhp will make you engine 50% less reliable, so if you are putting that full 640bhp through the car for a long time expect it to brake, aditional coolers are needed to bump that reliablity up

The VVTi engine had a 7200rpm rev limit, and exactly the same internals, so I'd say that's a nice same rev limit for reliability. As for power, well, they seem to run 500 to 600bhp happily for years, there are a lot of examples of well-maintained and tuned stock motors doing that. Beyond that you get a smaller sample set, shorter time, and more unknowns.

The VVTi engine had a 7200rpm rev limit, and exactly the same internals, so I'd say that's a nice same rev limit for reliability. As for power, well, they seem to run 500 to 600bhp happily for years, there are a lot of examples of well-maintained and tuned stock motors doing that. Beyond that you get a smaller sample set, shorter time, and more unknowns.

:thumbs:

It's all in the setup and mapping, some 800hp stock motors will be more reliable than 500hp ones due to being setup correctly. From what I've read on the net, engine building often causes as many issues as it solves.

There are a lot of high power Supras with stock engine.

High rev will kill an engine faster than hp. We have 2 single Supras over here (in Luxembourg) ... and the other guy has set the rev limit to 7750 on a complete stock block with a GT42 turbo .. running 2 bar of boost on E85.

However, for those who want reliability : keep you Supra stock, and it will last very long.