The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What causes this? corrosion on the intake manifold

RB-GTE

Ok so I just found this Supra for sale that I am very interested in buying right away.

Everything is great with the car.

The car is pretty much stock, including the engine, and it has 125,000 KMs (77,000 miles)... Facelift 1997 TT6 J-spec.

For example, my other Supra which is stock, has almost the same amount of mileage at 115,000 KMs... but the intake manifold is like butter. It's a nice smooth color.

On this car I am interested in it looks like this in the pictures below.

I am wondering is this a problem at all? is it caused by heat? anything negative from this?

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/457/73307471.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4318/73307431.jpg

My car never had this, until it was parked up for 2 years, now the engines covered in it. I assumed it was from the damp etc.

Spent a lot of time trying to clean it off but to be honest I think I made it look worse. Would love to hear what Stonkin would recommend.

Yeah I'm assuming if the car was parked for sometime this can occure, but if its driven on a regular basis it can be avoided?

Doesn't look like that can be cleaned off too be honest, I think the whole mani would need to be removed, sand blasted, and painted.

Mine had done 50k and the manifold was like that, nothing to worry about at all.

As said its just genral corrosion mate, it looks like a tidy engine bay to be honest

If your that fussed, a bit of FROST silver paint does the trick

See my engine makeover thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233857-Engine-bay-makeover

That looks awesome! How is it holding up; and how do you find the maintainence?

Its called patina, its what non-ferrous metals do instead of rusting, its why copper goes green, brass goes dark, etc. by removing it your essentially removing that layer of metal so the layer below can patina, but I doubt you will live long enough to wear it down noticeably :p personally I leave it as patina usually has a higher melting point than the metal it forms on and poorer heat transfer so it basically acts as heat proofing on the intake (yes I know its unlikely to make a single degree temp difference, it's just how I justify my laziness to myself :p)