The mkiv Supra Owners Club

It's Me or the Supra ?

Gabriella

It's the speed that made me think of that. I am assuming low speed/high gear selection will highlight the problem.

H.

I know it is an auto but where you said low speed/high gear for clutch slip when mine went the other week it was ironically only slipping in 4th gear around 3-4k revs. I did test it at 4th and 5th at 25-30mph and flooring it and it was always fine except when nailing it..... Can a NA nail it??

No clutch, Yes its autospastic.

Does it do it every time you drive it Gabriella? Does it make any difference when it's hot/cold?

No Adi, only does it time to time .. It happened few times when I suddenly had to nearly stop it and carry on my journey to the nearest service at about 30-40 mph ( when sometimes my bonnet opening itself when doing a bit more then 69,5 mph..). It happened today after driving 5 minutes and being stuck behind the bus for a bit.

I have all fluids topped up and everything sound as it should. I might find time to take it to the garage and also service it before Suprapod..

If its an auto and its revving "like crazy" then you must be losing drive somewhere otherwise you would be in a hedge by now, which would point to some kind of drivetrain problem.

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but is it actually revving to the redline and back or less than that? Is the engine revving or just the needle on the rev counter moving?

Incidentally, our autos do have clutches for locking up when cruising, but they only change the RPM by a tiny amount.

Thank you Fitz.

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but is it actually revving to the redline and back or less than that? Is the engine revving or just the needle on the rev counter moving?

Incidentally, our autos do have clutches for locking up when cruising, but they only change the RPM by a tiny amount.

Yes, its revving when slowing down and while staying in range of (35-40mph)1,600-1,800 engine starts revving 1,800-3,5-4k but only for short period of time until reaches normal speed (50-60mph)It happens again today when I was stopping on a traffic lights and to be even more embarrassed there was few guys ready to race on second lane and my Supra start revving so as them haha they were happy and carry on and I was so embarrassed :(

Oh well its book to the garage next Monday so will see.

I'm still not 100% sure from your description but I am assuming that you are saying the car accelerates and decelerates when the engine revs.

Could be a dodgy throttle position sensor? You say it does it when you are pootling around doing 35-40 but not above 50-60. Presumably the traffic light thing was all when you were at a standstill.

Try putting it in manual mode and driving in a lower gear than normal at a speed where you know the problem occurs. That way the throttle (and the throttle sensor) will be in a different position than usual. TPS can develop a wear spot in their tracks at the point where you normally cruise. Driving in a different gear will put the sensor in a different place and circumvent the problem.

Having said that, if the car is changing speed at random you probably shouldn't be driving it at all. I'm amazed that the ECU isn't catching this and throwing up a fault. Have you done a check for fault codes?

I'm still not 100% sure from your description but I am assuming that you are saying the car accelerates and decelerates when the engine revs.

Engine sometime revs itself only a little when standstill on traffic lights but revving like mad when slowing down suddenly. Supra is not happy when breaking harsh.

Since I bought the Supra last September and being my daily drive, doing all sort of random speeds nearly everyday..

I notice this issue four times and all four in last two months time.

Is not the only problem..Sometimes warning on dash and engine warning lights on when putting foot down when overtaking..

I know I should service it and do my Supra health check ages ago.

I will try to use manual mode and drive in lower gear.

No I didn't check fault codes.

If you have warning lights then you will have stored fault codes.

It might help your garage if you do the check in this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35920-How-To-Check-the-diagnostics-codes

What I still can't understand is how your car "revs like mad" but still slows down. Unless you are losing drive through the torque converter, if your engine revs then you should speed up.

What you are sat at the lights and the engine revs "a little" does the car feel like it is trying to pull away?

In any case, when you are stationary, or slowing down, your foot will be off the throttle, so it might mean your throttle isn't closing, or the idle air valve isn't doing its job properly. Not sure if that would cause "excessive" revving, though.

*Edit* Or do you put it in "N" when slowing down or at the lights?

What I still can't understand is how your car "revs like mad" but still slows down. Unless you are losing drive through the torque converter, if your engine revs then you should speed up.

What you are sat at the lights and the engine revs "a little" does the car feel like it is trying to pull away?

*Edit* Or do you put it in "N" when slowing down or at the lights?

It revs but it doesn't really moving the car is more like choking..small forward movements but it doesn't "pull" the car while revving even when relesing breaks. When relesing breaks, nice and gently moves forward as you would expect..

..well apart from few times when I needed to really step down to get Supra moving as refused to "go" itself as you would expect from automatic but that is a different story.

Yes I do system of putting in Neutral and hand break on when I'm stopping at traffic lights but only when its busy and I know that I will be there for a while. I didn't been on that system when that revs happened.

Well, based on your descriptions so far it sounds like rather than the throttle getting stuck the drivetrain is getting unloaded somehow which means your engine suddenly finds itself free to rev. When you are stationary and the engine is under virtually no load, the further reduction in load causes a small increase in revs but when you are cruising when the load comes off the change in revs is more noticable.

The fact that the car doesn't change speed up or down while this is happening and doesn't try to pull away on you by mistake makes it sound like you are losing drive which I guess must be a torque converter issue, and it is the loss of drive which is unloading the engine.

The "revving when decelerating" thing doesn't fit with this theory at all, however, because the engine should be under no load at all. In fact if you lost drive it would drop to idle, not rev.

But its intermittent nature and the fact that you are also getting warning lights makes me think its actually an electrical issue rather than a mechanical failure, but I can't think of what that might be because anything that actually makes the car rev as much as you are describing should make it jerk about / speed up / slow down and generally misbehave.

Its definately not just the rev counter needle moving on its own? :)

Edited by Digsy (see edit history)