The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What turbo upgrade for a TT

listy

Mine dont need doing, just wondering about a few things.

When replacing the stock JSpec turbos, does it have to be with stock JSpec/UK turbos, or can you go aftermarket, but keep the sequential set up?

Would you need a new ecu if keeping the sequential set up?

If there is no need to replace the ecu, and aftermarket turbos is an option, what would people recommend?

I know hybrids are hit or miss, so will be steering well clear of those.

I want more power, but dont have the money to go single yet.

Has anyone gone aftermarket sequential set up before?

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I think tooquicktostop (Dean) sent his turbos to CR Turbos for steel internals and he was quite impressed with their work. Might be worth looking into Steel Internals and running TCC.

Are they not hybrid turbos then? I thought thats what the hybrids were.

Oh, and what is TCC? I've seen a few people mention it recently, but have no idea what it is lol

Oh, and what is TCC? I've seen a few people mention it recently, but have no idea what it is lol

TTC is True Twin Conversion. Basically it means both turbos come on together at about 4000rpm - Well i think thats what it means.

he went for uprated internals but standard size compressor wheels i believe and his is running TTC ( true twin) i dont no what the TCC is your talk of?

Edited by D8MOA (see edit history)

TCC mate ;)

But TTC is where both spool and come on at the same time. BIG BIG power :eyebrows: but too expensive for me :(

Sorry my bad lol....But i cant help you with TCC.

I'd like to try TTC mode, Well Adi (letmeshowyou) put my dads one in TTC mode when we was trying to get the second turbo working.

Maybe Tont TT had a typo and meant TTC then.

If thats the case, I'm guessing its just a piggyback mapped/programmed to make both turbos come online at the same time? And no actual change to the set up in the bay?

Or, are there turbos you can replace the stock ones withto give a bit more power, and keep the sequential system? Which is the question I have really.

If thats the case, I'm guessing its just a piggyback mapped/programmed to make both turbos come online at the same time? And no actual change to the set up in the bay?

Or, are there turbos you can replace the stock ones withto give a bit more power, and keep the sequential system? Which is the question I have really.

i would say no..... your better off rebuilding yours!! the turbos on a supra are unique with the 'bolt' on type intake, and 'v' band type exhaust housing

Edited by D8MOA (see edit history)

You need to eliminate iacv vsv aswell as egcv vsv to go ttc. The supra will feel sluggish imo. You basicly call a turbo hybrid when doing any kind of modification to it. 2 hybrid will cost more then a small single

Standard off the shelf turbos will not fit the stock sequential setup, if you want to keep the sequential setup but want a little more power then hybrid turbos are the only option, these are basically standard turbo housings that are machined to fit larger compressor and turbine wheels. Larger turbos will flow more air into the engine so to run them at full boost you would also need to increase the amount of fuel to the engine with bigger injectors. You would then need a piggyback or standalone ECU to control the fueling and timing. You would probably also need a stronger clutch to manage the higher hp.

In all quite a bit of expense for only moderate power gains.

Standard off the shelf turbos will not fit the stock sequential setup, if you want to keep the sequential setup but want a little more power then hybrid turbos are the only option, these are basically standard turbo housings that are machined to fit larger compressor and turbine wheels. Larger turbos will flow more air into the engine so to run them at full boost you would also need to increase the amount of fuel to the engine with bigger injectors. You would then need a piggyback or standalone ECU to control the fueling and timing. You would probably also need a stronger clutch to manage the higher hp.

In all quite a bit of expense for only moderate power gains.

Cheers Nic, answers my original question :thumbs:

Guess I'll stick with saving for a single set up then :)

Can you go single with a piggyback? Or do you need a new full ecu?

Cheers Nic, answers my original question :thumbs:

Guess I'll stick with saving for a single set up then :)

Can you go single with a piggyback? Or do you need a new full ecu?

You can fit a piggyback for going single, but standalone is better :)

Probably go single with a piggyback (so it happens sooner :D) then get a syvecs when money is there.

Few things to do first though, including getrag conversion, so will be a fair while until the single conversion gets done :(