The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Caliper Paint

Nic

I'm in the process of stripping and refurbishing a set of front and rear brake calipers, not sure yet whether to get them zinc plated, polymer coated or paint them myself.

Any opinions on best finish to go with? and if you've painted your calipers what paint did you use and how durable was the finish?

:thanks:

Those that have used Hammerite how durable has it been? Anyone have any pics of calipers done in blue Hammerite?

Very durable as long as you put on a good few coats and give it a good blasting with the pressure washer to keep it nice and clean

I stripped these for Kamal and rebuilt them, powder coated gloss black at Ibrars

Not sure how durable the pc is, Kamal should be able to answer that as they have been done

quite a while now.

Dunk did rebuilt and powder coated these for me 2 years ago and they are still in excellent condition! I use my car every day and the pc is proving to be durable so far, thanks Dunk :)

I can tell you NOT to use the stuff they sell in Halfrauds. It comes in an orange box (cant remember the name) but I used that and as it dried, it bubbled in places :( only did thin coats like it suggested, and it was left to dry in the kitchen, so was good temperature. I'm just going to strip the paint back and use hammerite spray as others have said.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of pics of the (MR2) calipers painted and reassembled. After stripping them down and taking them back to bare metal I used Hammerite smooth and gave each part at least 4 coats, it took a few days to harden completely but the finish seems durable now.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5494/dscf0319k.jpg

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/1880/dscf0315p.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Used some penetrating oil on the calipers yesterday to help keep some areas free of rust whilst I was waiting for some parts, the oil has reacted with the Hammerite and softened the paint so it rubs off with a finger nail. Not happy :( So it's on with the Nitromors and off with the Hammerite!

Going to get them powder coated now instead.

Only problem I have now is getting the pistons back out of one of the front calipers.

I ordered a 250ml can of this stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-DRUM-PAINT-METAL-STEEL-HEAT-RESISTANT-ENGINE-PLASTIC-CAR-BIKE-/270959388629?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&var=&hash=item3f167027d5

Not tried it yet, so cannot comment on quality or durability, but it is marketed as high temp genuine caliper paint.

I order the Cadbury purple. It's not as blue as the pic, but then again it is a very nice colour. Very sparkly when I tried it on a bare piece of black metal and covered well (would need more than one coat so probably similar to Hammerite).

Yeah I've seen that done, need to find a friendly garage :)

Get a piece of wood in front of the pistons and hold them back from launching out, plus you need

to tease both out at the same time and it wont take much pressure to do it, keep your fingers out the

way ;)