The mkiv Supra Owners Club

disc skimming on car

scoooby slayer

had my supra discs skimmed today, had enough of pedal jumping and wheel wobble under braking.

started like this

marcus at disc skimmers came out with his pro cut lathe and finished up with this

havnt tried it yet but looking good, the main issue he said was the fronts, cheap spacers had been used and they wernt square so the wheel and disc bell wernt faced together square, so ive ordered some h and r cnc machined spacers for a dead true fit.

seemed very professional and discs look like brand new now, i will report how much better they are as soon as ive driven it.

Got this done to my Soarer 3 years ago had a judder on braking did not want to get new discs as not sure what the problem was. £40 later transformed the handling of the car well worth trying before spending cash on new discs if you ask me.

By the looks of it used the same equipment as was done to mine

I'd personally rather grind discs and do it off the car.

What did this cost to do

its no use getting 380mm discs on alloy bells done on a mill or a bench lathe due to any hub variation hence me wanting them done in situ.

skimming was £180 for all 4, mileage was £27

nice guy aswell, he does the floating discs aswell.

no need for that, thanks :)

discs are 34mm new, mine measure 33.6mm.

- - - Updated - - -

well the h and r spacers finally arrived so i got the car off the ramp last night and took it for a blast. all ive done is had disks skimmed, cleaned and greased all pads so the move freely and fitted new clutch hub carrier ring and had flywheel skimmed and my wot fueling has gone from 11.4 to 10.6 afr !

i could feel it aswell, hits 10.3 as i come on boost now which is so rich i could feel it starting to misfire ! so the engine must be under less load now so needing less fuel, so ive droped the fuel pressure off slightly so im back at 11.4 again.

the brakes fel 100% perfect now, 100 mph hard on the brakes no judder or squirming just pulls up in a dead straight line.

my base fuel pressure is running nearly 4 bar, god knows why it was mapped like that its ridiculous im hitting 6 bar rail pressure at 2 bar boost !

so i think i may get mgt to map it soon at 3 bar base pressure at least it will give the pumps an easier time.

I'm not convinced of the science behind your fuelling changing after a brake disk skim, but I'm glad you got results :)

im not saying the skim made any difference it didnt it cant, but i do know 5 of my 10 brake pads where seized solid in the calipers so must of been binding.

nothing else has changed except skimming the flywheel also as the clutch wasnt sitting flat on it.